shutter speed. This would mean I am 3 stops short on light 8-15-30-60 or my

picture will be underexposed by 3 stops without using any flash at all? The

dial on the light output on the flash reads 1/32,1/16,1/8,1/4,1/2,1/1. So my

question is 3 stops on the meter 0, 1/32 (1), 1/16(2), 1/8(3rd stop) . If I

set my light to 1/8 will that give me the correct exposure? I understand if im

using bounce or a softbox or my distance from flash to subject is far away

that needs to be considered. Is this the correct way to look at this or am I

way off base. I know I can fire the flash from my meter and adjust that way. I

just want to understand exactly how the equipment works.

Thanks Glenn

Glenn,

You don't seem to understand the basics, which have been explained in a vast number of threads.

The function of the shutter, when using flash, is simply to be open long enough for the flash to fire. Within reason, using a slower shutter speed wiill make no difference to the exposure in practical terms.

Set the shutter speed to 1/60th or so (too short a setting will cause the shutter to be only partly open)

Set the aperture to what you want it to be.

Set the flash power to produce the correct exposure at your chosen aperture.

Glenn,

<br />

Set your camera to it's highest sync speed. If you don't know what this is, then go with the 1/60th that Gary posted.

<br />

Once you have your lights pointed in the directions that they need to be in, walk over to the subject, and fire the flash(es). You will want to have your meter in the light that they produce. The meter will tell you some mess about 1/8th at 8.0. Ignore the shutter speed reading. Since you are going to do a studio (I am assuming, as I see that you are talking about softboxes.) shot shutter speed is irrelevant here. Whatever aperture the meter tells you, this is the one that you want to set the camera to.

<br />

Set the aperture, and shoot. If you don't want to use a lot of power on the flash, dial it down and re-meter. If you are using multiple lights, point the meter at the camera. I am guessing from the confusion indicated in your post, that you were thinking that the meter would tell you what power to set the flash at. The power of the flash is something that you have to decide upon. Less depth of field, less power, more depth of field, more power. Make sense? It should, because less power = less light = larger aperture = less depth of field. Conversely, more power = more light = smaller aperture = greater depth of field. This concludes my little lesson on light math.

<br />

Hope that this helps.

<br />

Brandon.

Glenn,

Based upon the settings given by your light meter, I must assume that you are using a standard incident light meter and NOT an indident FLASH meter. You need a flash meter in order to accurately measure the scene with your flash units. The settings on the flash units are relative power settings and cannot be used to accuately calculate your exposure. If your meter is telling you that light A is putting out twice as much light as you need, then you can go to light A and set its power setting to 1/2 AND THEN YOU RE_METER the scene and adjust either the power setting or the light distance from subject. You live by the meter. You meter the Key light, fill light, hair light backgound light etc. You control the light and in order to do so you need an accurate way of measuring the light --your Flash meter.

Mel Unruh

The "flash duration" becomes the shutter speed, assuming the room is dark. Varying the shutter speed, in flash pictures has no effect on the areas lit by the flash. Only F stop will effect them. What shutter speed can do. Is brighten or darken the background by allowing more or less ambient light to reach the film.

Flash pictures, are essentially double exposures. The shutter opens and allows light to reach the film plane. When it is fully open the flash fires, after the flash fires. The shutter closes. But the entire time the shutter is open it is allowing ambient light to pass.