Diving Board--Yosemite

bob_prichard

Hello Bob,

<p/>

The link above appears to describe the easiest route. I have been researching this location as well. The poster's advice to check at the Mountaineering School at Curry Village is a good one. Note that some people call the curved overhanging ledge at the top of Half Dome the Diving Board, but maps properly identify the location on the western face.

<p/>

A climber who works at REI told me that the approach to Snake Dike, which is a technical climbing route near the Diving Board, takes him 3+ hours, but he: (1) knows the way, (2) is in climbing condition, (3) has a light pack and (4) doesn't take pictures along the way. We thought it would take a photographer 5+ hours to reach the Diving board from the Happy Isles trailhead. Allotting 1-2 hours at the top plus 3+ hours for the hike back implies a 10 hour round-trip. This time of year, sunset is around 7pm, so if you want to return before it gets dark, that means starting out before 9am.

<p/>

There is freshwater at the bridge under Vernal Falls, but that is less than an hour into the route. That means you have to bring 8 hours worth of food and water, or about 3-4 liters. Lost Lake looks like the last place to filter, but I have read it described as a mud puddle, so the top of Nevada Falls may be the last filter stop.

<p/>

The REI climber told me about another route that diverts left partway up the Mist Trail and traverses up a valley between Mt Watkins and Liberty Cap. He said this route was quicker, but trickier if you don't know the best way, and possibly involved more scrambling.

<p/>

Make sure you go prepared, good luck and show us your photos!

Cheers, David

I've seen others refer to the cliff in the area of Taft Point as "the diving board." There are some overhangs which are substantilly easier to get to compared to Half Dome. This area is reached from the Glacier Point Road. I'm pretty sure the expected and correct named area is off Half Dome though and that's not an easy hike.

what i did was i came DOWN from Tuolumne meadows. it is a longer hike but it is downhill. some great shots along the way for sure. i think i did it in two days. it would be much more enjoyable for you for sure. you could do it from curry village and back in a very very long day walking uphill slowly, or you can take 2 -3 leasural days walking downhill and get great shots along the way.

(when i did the tyrolean traverse on the Lost arrow spire i also walked down from the road leading to tuolume. it took me like 1 hours of easy downhill walking. every one else goes up for like 3 hours or more carrying heavy packs and even overnight gear.

use gravity. have fun.

eddie

I went last year in July (when it was so dang HOT!). Here's a link to pictures and text from that epic trip. I didn't research the route before I went but, I had pictures and memories of a potential route starting between Vernal and Nevada Falls, directly accessing a narrow canyon leading up to the bottom of Snake Dike.

http://lhfotoware.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_archive.html

It's amazing that Ansel Adams took his hike up there in the snow!

Hello Eddie,

<p/>

That is an interesting idea. Can you reach Half Dome easily from someplace along Tioga Pass Road, like Tenaya Lake? It would be great to be able to take something like a bus to the start of your route, so we wouldn't have to leave a car up there.

<p/>

Also, are there trails that lead to Half Dome along your route, or did you just navigate your own way? Cheers, David

I've always toyed with the idea of taking the trail from Tenaya Lake, up and over Cloud's Rest and back down by Nevada and Vernal Falls. I'm sure people do that in one day all the time. If you're REALLY studly, you can bag Half Dome along the way but, it would have to be a very short visit. Personally, Id want to make it an overnighter, so I could take time to explore Cloud's Rest and the Quarter Domes.

I had a recent trip to Mount Watkins, almost directly across Tenaya Canyon from Half Dome. If you look on a topo map and follow the ridge southwest from Mount Watkins, you have a front row seat in front of Half Dome. It's a fairly easy day hike from the Olmstead Point area. Pictures and text from my trip:

http://lhfotoware.blogspot.com/2007/07/night-in-park.html

• 2 years later...