10D... should I upgrade to 40D

jonathan_bautista

Alan said, "The 30D was a 33% increase in image resolution from the 10D. The 40D offers about another 25%..."

Not really. resolution is usually measured linearly, so while 6 to 8MP is a 33% increase in pixels, it's only a 16.5% linear resolution increase. Jumping from 6 to 10Mp is a 68% pixel increase but a 34% resolution increase. Still a noticeable amount, just not *that* noticeable.

All of this noise about the 1D3 not being noisy is a farse - straight up BS. Trust me I know. I just returned from BRC and shot over 2500 images, mostly at night. Even at ISO 400 noise is apparent and no, I am not that happy. I will have to do almost as much work with my 1D3 images and noise reduction as I did with my 30D and my 10D before that.

At 800 it is terrible and at higher than that. Geez, whatever.

Arie Vandervelden wrote:

"Just a heads up: I recently upgraded from 300D to 400D, and in the end I had to upgrade software (to CS3 to handle raw files) and then my computer to run CS3 (more memory). That said, no regrets."

I thought I'd have to go the same route when I got my 1D3 - fortunately there's an easy alternative - simply download Adobe's free DNG converter, and convert the *.CR2 to *.DNG - and get rid of those pasky "sidecar" *.xmp files in the process - AND you can rename the files as they're pulled off the card :)