Better lens cap for slim filters

kpe_slotkin

At the same page, note that in addition to push-on caps, they have 'cap holders'-one of which has a rubberband around the lens, so it stays with the lens, not the camera body. For a buck, how can you go wrong ;)

"cheap JDM, slayer of hi-cost accessories"

A polystyrene sleeve that fits over the end of the lens is often a better solution that the press on lens caps. You can find them as holders for cold cans of better and cold bottles of beer.

I usually advise against getting a filter without front threads simply because of the difficulty with lens caps.

The cap savers keep the lens cap with the lens but doesn't keep the cap on. In any wind having the lens cap chained to the lens is a pain in the arse to say the least. I did try one for my compact digital but honestly they are more money than they are worth.

If you use a rubber(ized) cap, like the ones that come with some Hoya SHMC filters, cut a 1/4 inch wide piece of gaffers tape and wrap two turns tightly around the outside diameter of the cap. This allows the rubber to grip but keeps it from expanding so much that it falls off. I rewrap twice a year.

For plastic caps, used MF caps for a few bucks, I fold one layer of tape up the inside and onto the inner face of the cap--keeps the seam and gum off the edge but provides grip--and also run a band around the outside.