The white paint on the black shutter dial is falling out...

joel aron

So, here's a crazy question.

My black M6 classic seems to be showing sign of it's age. Slowly, I've noticed

the white numbers in the shutter dial become illegible. A close inspection

reveals that the white paint is lifting out of the impression for each shutted

speed indication on the dial. A month ago it was just the top of the '1' in

'125', and now, the '4' and '2' are going, and signs of it starting on all

numbers lifting are beginning to show. I fear that soon, I'll have no white

numbers, and

Is this an obvious 'get a single hair brush and some white Testers model paint'

and go at it with a magnifying glass? Or is there some special 'Leitz' white

paint that MUST be used?

If I send the body in for a CLA soon, is this something that can be taken care

of with a simple dial swap, instead of dealing w/ the pain of a re-paint?

Ideas? suggestions? Have you dealt with this before? ...if so, how?

thanks for you help!

Lacquer-Stik Paintsticks are available in many different colors including white and work pretty well (I've only used the white). You put in on, wipe off the paint outside the engraved area. Voila!

They are available in a kit from Micro-Tools at

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=LS-KIT

Similar products are probably available at your local hobby store, etc. Sharpie makes at least a white one.

i would pay the top dollar to buy a brand new one and then cast it in a vacuumed glass case that sits on a floating table in the center of the room in a temperture controlled basement.

i would carefully take it out to exercise the camera shutter once a month for no more than 10 clicks.

during the exercise, i would forbit myself to breath.

and before i take it out of its case, i would vacuum the entire room, preferably the entire house first.

and don't let your current one get near the new one.

Vivek and JDM, thank you!

I'm off to get a Lacquer-Stik Paintstick! (if off means clicking 'buy-now')

M. ...i laughed my a$$ off. Granted, if this were a 'I am going to die if I don't have a good answer', you would be very high on my 'what an dick' list for a few minutes till a good reply came in. ;)

..also, for step #3, you forgot to mention the part of wearing cotton anti-static white gloves, a hazmat bunny suit, and only remove from the case in a room with no direct sunlight

<i>I am sorry, M. Your post is uncalled for.</i><br><br>

vivek - i made no comment about a good photog. vs. a bad. i simply provided one solution for camera worshipper, which the poster sounded like a real one. it did not mean to be a joke.<br><br>

for the poster - i have no answer for your further questions.

Follow up for anyone in the states.. I found this place to be not in Germany, and provides a closer shipping situation (still, HUGE thanks to JDM for locating the product..just had to find it a bit local)

Go here: http://tubesandmore.com/

and search for:

"Lacquer Stik"

They have black and white. .and if you want fancy, you can get red.

thanks again everyone!

-camera worshiper

..and user.. ;)

m

If your statement was not a joke, then it really was out of line for since it's hardly being a "camera worshipper" to want readable numbers on the camera. Indeed, it's clear that Joel is precisely NOT your store-in-the-box-and-never-use collector since he's worn the paint off the numbers, and that makes your second response even more lame.

Don't know your gender so it is unclear just what part of your anatomy got caught in the wringer, but you can remove it by cranking the lever backwards and stepping back at the same time.<div>00MUz9-38408884.jpg.7331498d65ffbe89715069197beced23.jpg</div>

Barry, thank you.

okay... I'm calling a paint wars time out. We got the answer, and there's a few ruffled shirt collars. Sorry it came to that. Email is hard enough to read, and get the correct emotion, let alone a forum about the most coveted camera known to man. Who knew that there was going to be a powder keg in this tread!?

I'll end it with a light hearted reply to Barry, and only cause he asked..

I don't know about the shade of white.. But I am concerned about the added weight of the paint. I fear that it may add drag to the amount of spin that I put on the shutter dial. The meter.. who knows. The toxins in the paint could be an issue.

Honestly, if the white doesn't match, then I'll just paint the camera white with the pen when it arrives next week, and just gouge out all the old white letters and numbers to be black. That would look cool. ;)

j

Joel, believe it or not, I was serious. Though normally that would have been a sardonic reply. I actually don't know how critical it is, but I was just wondering out loud if you need to match the dot's color because the meter does focus on that. You could put your meter out a 1/2 to 1 stop pretty easily if you're too dark or light.

In fact, now I don't think I can sleep. Damn....should I count white M's or black ones?