FF wide angle to medium tele that's sharp wide open?

gaetano catelli

I've had a couple of the Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 lenses and was not that impressed at their performance. I've heard the Canon 28-135mm IS is slightly better. but haven't shot one myself. The next real step up in the Canon lineup is the 24-70mm L or the 24-105mm L IS but they sound out of your budget.

I have heard good things about the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. Supposedly if you get a good copy it's very close to the equal of the 24-70mm Canon. You might look into that lens as an alternative to the Canon L's.

Try the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. Lightweight and just about as sharp as the 24-70mm f.28L. Any lens is somewhat soft-ER wide open. The zoom control works in the opposite direction, the autofocus isn't USM and is noiser and you have to test to make sure you have a sharp copy. Otherwise, it is a great lens. On my Tamron, 28mm f2.8 is just as sharp as smaller apertures. At the longer focal lengths f2.8 is only slightly soft-ER, but not anywhere near the consumer Canon Zooms.

• 2 weeks later...

"A cheap zoom that is sharp wide open at very wide angles? Dream on... :-)

Dan"

i worded my request poorly. i just didn't want to wind up with a lens that looked like it had a softening filter wide open (as happened once with a 3rd party lens i bought on faith at the urging of a certain salesman at a certain large nyc photo store), and a number of the reviews of Canon zooms in this price range were not reassuring.

oh, did i mention that i wound up buying a Canon 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS from Gary at Adorama? Gary was quick to point out that this lens has the older version of IS, not the newer version. but, i'm very satisfied with it so far. light enough to walk around Rome with all day, and well into the night, steady enough for handheld available-light street photography at night.