Bright background & flash = unpleasant highlights on subject

manasi

Hi all

Before writing this I went through some posts on flare. I have a very basic

understanding of the phenomenon & would appreciate advice related to my question.

The photo I've uploaded was taken with a Canon 50/1.8 on a Rebel XTi on a cloudy

day in Prague. Despite the grey background, the details on the subject's face

were getting lost, so I used a flash. Agreed that the image is underexposed,

however, the flash shows up unnatural highlights on the nose, chin & eye brow area.

Here are my questions:

1. How do professional photographers take pictures of subjects against VERY

bright backgrounds like skies & open windows & yet manage to capture every line

on the subjects' faces (without the shiny noses & chins)? Most pictures of the

sort I've seen have the happy, mid-morning, bright breakfast room look (if you

get my gist). These pictures mostly tend to be in the portfolios of wedding

photographers.

2. Are there lenses that can accomplish that kind of detail against bright

bkgrounds without the aid of diffused light/reflectors from the opposite

direction? I'd love to know which ones.

3. Are there filters that can be used on a humble lens like mine than can

mitigate that kind of glare?

If there is a technique I'm missing here, please let me know.

Thanks!

Manasi

1. fill flash or diffused lighting, reflectors, umbrellas

2. I don't think so

3. not really, polarizers might help, you will want to wipe down the subject with some sort of cleaner to soak up the oils.

You will probably want to stop down the lens. Use a higher f stop number to get more detail, the shallow depth of field might be an issue in getting less detail.

Lots of paper towel, shiny skin, oil,sweat or wet will reflect light, I learned the hard way this weekend at a wedding on the hottest day of the year. Some use diffusers on the flash, or bounce it off a white surface or though a soft box, anything to soften or difuse the light. Many,many sites and books written on flash.

1. How do professional photographers take pictures of subjects against VERY bright backgrounds like skies & open windows & yet manage to capture every line on the subjects' faces (without the shiny noses & chins)? Most pictures of the sort I've seen have the happy, mid-morning, bright breakfast room look (if you get my gist). These pictures mostly tend to be in the portfolios of wedding photographers.

"Professional" wedding photographers don't shoot against bright backgrounds in full sun, unless there is no other choice. We always look for shade, and dark backgrounds. The only way to deal with a bright background is to balance the subject (with the background) with a small amount of fill. This is provided by either a flash or a reflector.

2. Are there lenses that can accomplish that kind of detail against bright bkgrounds without the aid of diffused light/reflectors from the opposite direction? I'd love to know which ones.

There are lenses that designed and built to be less flare prone. Unfortunately these cost a small fortune. Glass like the Aspherical Summicron or Summilux will lower flare in back lit situations. But you are looking at close to $3,000.00 (USD) for a 50mm!

In any backlit situation you can always minimize flare by using primes, instead of multi element zooms. The more layers, the more light gets scattered, and creates flare.

3. Are there filters that can be used on a humble lens like mine than can mitigate that kind of glare?

My answer to question 1, negates this and the 2nd question.

There is quantity and there is quality of light.

You can write several volumes on this topic of Lighting.

It is also considered basic photography - Lighting 101.

Look up Dean Collins on Lighting and get the DVDs. It will do more for you than buying an extra camera or lenses. For the most, its the operator not the gadgets.

1. Agree with Sam and Steve--use diffused flash or reflectors to balance the light on the subject to the background. In addition, it helps to put the light off the lens axis--directional light is more exciting than flat, frontal light. And, carry blotting paper for mopping up skin oil. You normally put the sun or bright light on the subject's back and create an even, shaded front, onto which you put the flash's light or use a reflector to beef up the light on the shaded parts of the subject.

2. No. It's the diffused flash or reflector that makes the difference, not the lens. Any good quality lens is capable of such detail, assuming you are focusing right.

3. Depending on what glare you are talking about, if it is the specular quality of the light on the subject, again, it is the diffusion on the flash or reflector (as above) that makes the difference. If you are talking about flare (different from glare) surrounding the subject due to extremes of light between the background and subject, as soon as you balance the two, that flare disappears.

Thanks all.

Nadine, the part about the light difference was especially helpful!

I've been trying to sort this out myself meanwhile & it leads me to light metering (among other things) of which I know very little.

Any recommendations of books?