that's wanting to start a portfolio for her hopeful career as a makeup

artist. She has someone lined up to be the model. The problem is that I have

never done a gig like this, I am simply a hobbyist and spend 99% of my time

with nature photography. This will be the first gig for the model as well, so

we're all pretty much flying blind. I don't want it to waste any of our time

so I thought I'd seek some input here. Since this is for a make-up artists

portfolio, I'm assuming I'll probably be taking a lot of headshots. I should

mention that the setting will be outdoors, we'll be stopping in downtown Tampa

and also in Ybor City (a historic district with lots of old brick buildings).

This is the list of equipment that I'll have available... Nikon D50 (wish I

could get my D300 shipped early for this), 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, and if I can

get my hands on one between now and then either a 70-200mm f2.8 VR or 80-200mm

f2.8. I guess I'll also bring my 300mm f4 but I doubt that there will be any

use for it. I will also have an SB-800 on camera as well as an SB-600 on a

light stand w/ umbrella. I also have a reflector (silver/gold) and colored

gel filters for the flash units. Mercifully the make-up artist will be there

to help direct the model and also hold the reflector. Anyways, I guess I'm

just asking if anyone has any general advice for me to prevent this being a

total flop. Also, does my equipment list sound sufficient? Thanks for any

suggestion!

Hi Joshua, I'll throw in a few goofy suggestions.

First, if you'll be in Tampa, I'd assume hot, sunny weather - although that's something you obviously can't control.

Direct sun can be rather contrasty and un-flattering. So you may want to consider shooting in the shade, and/or bringing along a reflector to bounce some light back on the "shady side" of your subject as well as your flash, which I'd crank back just to provide a little fill and a catchlight.

You might also try to shoot in the morning when it's cooler and the light isn't directly overhead, which is usually not conducive to nice portraits. (The sun directly overhead can put bags under your subject's eyes, for example) The heat of the day can also cause makeup to run.

This is just my opinion of course but I wouldn't worry too much about the historic district location. The shots, imho, should be about the subject and not his/her surroundings. I used to worry a lot about locations for shoots then realized that fancy locations can be distracting sometimes. If the makeup and model are good, tight headshots will be good without background clutter.

Lastly you have some fine equipment for the job! I'd probably be using the 50mm and 85mm lenses for tight head-shots. But I'd definitely bring along that 300mm lens. Long telephotos can be *very* flattering and give great background blur. They also mean that you can obliterate an unattractive background and make your subject really "pop". Be sure to bring a tripod if you do and use it. Try shooting wide-open or close to it.

Here's an example when I did a rare (for me) shoot with a male model. I have lots of people ask me how I lit this shot. I didn't, really - it was taken outdoors under some trees on a very lightly cloudy day (almost hazy) with a (I know... I'm crazy!) 500mm f/4 lens. Yeah, I had to stand a mile away! ;-)

http://www.photo.net/photo/3606096 (I did use an on-camera flash for the catchlight in the eye, but it was dialed way back)

Here's another shot using the same 500mm lens - Warning! It's an "implied" nude but there are no "naughty bits" showing:

http://www.photo.net/photo/5743016

She was standing just inside my doorway with a black backdrop behind her. I was a loooong way away, in the backyard with late afternoon sun at my back, shining on her.

So again, if it was me, I'd take that long lens (and a tripod) and try it out. You may be pleasantly surprised. Another cool thing is that you're so far away from your subject, they feel less like their picture's being taken - which is great for models who are just starting out. These lenses are usually very sharp and would also showcase the makeup very well too.

Just my .02 cents - I'm sure you'll get more very good advice. Good luck!

Beau, thanks so much for a very detailed response, I appreciate it very much and your suggestions are very helpful! I am definately going to plan on this being an early morning gig... I am not a huge fan of working outside in the hot weather and since this is for a make-up artist I'd hate for the model to sweat and have her make-up run! I'm hoping most of the shots will be in downtown, and if so it will likely be mainly in the shade b/c of the tall buildings. I will definately use the reflector and off camera flash in an attempt at some creative lighting. I'll make sure to post the results!

• 4 weeks later...
This may be after the fact but I'd shoot this in the studio. If you don't have studio space and need to go outside, just do it in the backyard or some convenient spot. If you're tramping all over a downtown business district with light stands and umbrellas and strobes, a model and a makeup artist, some overzealous cop or security guard is going to come up asking for your permit or do you have permission to be here. And too many distractions anyway. These shots are really about the face, the model and the makeup. Backgrounds are only relevant if there's a purpose -- aka if you're shooting for "Tampa" magazine (if there is one) and they want to show the latest fashions in a local setting, for example. (Because without a local setting there would be no reason for them to be doing the photo spread, but that's another story)