Flash suggestions for k10d

andrew_ng7

I'm looking for a new flash to use with my k10d. I have a few flashes that I

used with my LX but wanted to upgrade to a dedicated flash. My older flash units

are the Vivtar 283, Pentax AF200S as well as a Metz 45CT-5.

Being new to the digital world are there any non-Pentax flash units out there

that will communicate with my camera and allow the camera to set the flash?

Should I just play more with the ones I have to see if they can suit my needs?

I've been looking at the Pentax AF360FGZ and the 540FGZ and they go for a good

chunk of change that I'd much rather invest in a faster lens. Can one justify

one of these flash units for a hobby photographer? I'd probably use it at a few

weddings a year and any other special occasion that would be held indoors.

The 400 FTZ does feature TTL flash or manual flash only. Current Pentax DSLR models cannot function with TTL auto flash, just PTTL. Because of this you would be limited to manual flash mode only with the Af400FTZ.

As an alternative, and still having tilt and swivel, you might check into the Pentax AF280T, a nice little flash that, like the two latest model flashes, has two different types of auto flash modes, one to accomodate older film camera bodies. It has both TTL mode and a regular 2-level auto mode, which uses the flash's built-in sensor instead of the camera's. Check with Pentax, but I see no reason why you could not get good results with this auto flash mode on the AF280T using it on a current DSLR.

> Should I just play more with the ones I have to see if they can suit my needs?

Be aware that some older flash units use high voltage circuitry that may damage your camera. Do some web searching on "trigger voltage" to find listings of flash units and ways of measuring the voltage on your units. Be careful, for yourself and your K10D.

Personally, I think a Pentax P-TTL flash is an excellent use of money. The 360FGZ is well under $200 now.

To get a peek, you can view the owner's manual of the AF280T on pentaximaging website. Click on costomer care and support. Then manuals and literature, then cameras, and sub-category is accessories. But do check with pentax. A phone call is worth gaining assurance of safety using this flash with the method I indicated.

B&H now lists the 360FGZ at $220 with a $25 rebate and has the 540FGZ at $340 with a $50 rebate. I am one who has spent a lot of money trying to save money on flash units and finally got the 540FGZ. I can say that it is a great flash with my K10D and my istD as well as with my film camera. I would recommend either one of these flashes over the non-dedicated ones. Your needs may change as time goes on so it is better tuy more than what you need now, in my opinion.

The only P-TTL flashes available are the Pentax ones, the Sigma EF 500 DG (Super or ST) and the Metz AF-1 which has just appeared on the UK market with P-TTL and has yet to reach the US.

Alternatively, you can use almost any "auto flash" (the kind that has its own sensor to measure the amount of flash light reflected from your subject) but as commented above you MUST check that it has an appropriately low trigger voltage and that you aren't in danger of shorting important contacts on the hotshoe. Here's a useful site that will help:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Auto flashes can work really well but their metering is a lot less sophisticated than more advanced TTL and P-TTL systems.

Matthew

I have always been an existing light photographer, but now I decided to get a good flash.

I found this flash on Strobist.

It's an updated classic, the Vivitar, now called 285HV, which has been made safe for digital

SLRs. Guide number of 120. Full manual control.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/02/return-of-classic.html

It costs under 100$.

What do you think of this flash?

PS: I'd prefer to have it attached to the side of the camera, not on top. Can you get these

flash attachments for the Pentax SLRs?

You can get a sync cord to attach the flash to the side of the camera. Or just run the fleabay radio flash triggers.

The Vivitar 285HV is a workhorse though their QC seems to be worse than usual nowadays (stories about blown ones seem to come up too much). If you're running it on manual or Auto mode, it'll do what you need.

I am also looking for a flash for my K100D and have read this thread and others with great interest.<br><br>

I have tried doing my homework but any further inputs are appreciated. So far I have narrowed in on 5 models with P-TTL (I have ruled out a few no-names and Pentax's new compact flash) and listed them below along with some specifications and my first comments. Actually I don't know how important the different specifications are. As I have understood, high speed sync is useful when using the flash for filling-in in daylight.<br><br>

I hope some of you can comment on my list and answer some of the questions I have.<br><br>

<b>Pentax AF 540 FGZ</b>, 406 EUR<br>

Guied number: 54<br>

Bounce + swivel<br>

High-speed sync<br>

<br>

Comments: This one will for sure cover my needs. But it is probably overkill and the price is to high for me. It is my first flash.<br><br>

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/foto/fotodigital/blitzgeraete-zubehoer/818291/-/Article.html?

<br><br><br>

<b>Pentax AF 360 FGZ</b>, 229 EUR<br>

Guide number: 36<br>

Bounce - but no swivel<br>

High-speed sync<br>

<br>

Comments: I expect this one will work. But I don't know if I will miss the "swivelability".<br>

<br>

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/foto/fotodigital/blitzgeraete-zubehoer/348822/-/Article.html?

<br>

<br>

<b>Sigma EF-530 DG Super</b>, 272 EUR<br>

Guide number: 53<br>

Swivel + bounce<br>

High-speed sync<br>

<br>

Comments: Is it worth going for this one instead of the non-Super (below)? How does it compare to the Pentaxes?<br>

<br>

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/foto/fotodigital/blitzgeraete-zubehoer/182126/-/Article.html?<br>

<br>

<br>

<b>Sigma EF-530 DG ST</b>, 188 EUR<br>

Guide number: 53<br>

Bounce + swivel<br>

No high-speed sync<br>

<br>

Comments: Will I miss features from the Super-version? Among these the high-speed sync?<br>

<br>

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/foto/fotodigital/blitzgeraete-zubehoer/182098/-/Article.html?<br>

<br>

<br>

<b>Soligor DG-420 Z</b>, 160 EUR - maybe cheaper<br>

Also known as Dörr D-AF42, Digital Concepts 952AF, and maybe also Sakar "something".<br>

Guide number: 42<br>

Bounce and swivel<br>

No high-speed sync<br>

<br>

Comments: Very interesting because of the low price. The Swedish shop Cyberphoto has tested it and recommends it. A few have tried it and given their opinions on dpreview. They seem to be satisfied but at the same time none of them are very experienced flash users. Again, will I miss the high-speed sync?<br>

<br>

http://www.cyberphoto.se/info.php?article=58427<br>

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=22185733

Go with your current Vivitar 283. p-TTL doesn't work any better than a good Auto flash.

I was much happier running Nikon SB-24's on my *istD and K100D in Auto mode (Nikon's pro flashes are superb general-purpose Auto flashes) tha I was the few times I ever tried using P-TTL (Popup or AF360FGZ).

• 3 months later...