1v shutter repair cost

charles.

I have a 1v body that is experiencing shutter problems (overexposed strip on the

top of some frames), judging by previous posts here, I will need either a

shutter overhaul or a completely new shutter to replace the one currently in the

camera. What those posts don't state is how much this is going to cost me...

people have said from 'around a hundred' to 'something like three hundred'

dollars on this and other sites. If someone could give a more specific answer I

would be much obliged.

I don't think the price will be the same due to the difference between film/digital (I imagine repairing a DSLR shutter is more complicated)... Also I think they have put a newer shutter into the mk2's (Im not even sure if they borrowed the 1v shutter for the original 1Ds or 1D.

My friend had his 1D's shutter replaced by Canon in Irvine, CA for about $130. This was a third-owner, refurbished, not under warranty camera. He didn't have any complaint, or try to make any claim for a free or reduced-price replacement. He just took it down to the local service center and they had it done in a few days.

The 1D obviously has a different shutter, as it is a different format than the 1V. It may be more expensive.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
<p>I can add a data point to this thread. I recently got a used 1V body, and after about 24 rolls the resulting images started to exhibit a thin, overexposed band along the long dimension of the frame. They quoted $277.57 for a repair. ($54 parts + $206 labor + $18 shipping/tax.)</p>