MP and Firefighters

Very good work, Brian, and an excellent presentation. Congrats! <p>What I'd like you to share is the amount of time you invested in the coverage, i.e. how acquainted did you get with what was going to happen, and for how long did you accompany the firefighters? How did it all start, out of personal interest or was this a commissioned job?<p>

BTW, among the many fine pictures on your company website I really like the "Moments" gallery. Are those pictures on the site a group effort or all yours? Cheers, Lutz

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.

OFD started when my producer called and said that the firefighters were training with

control burns on demo houses near the studio. I grabbed my camera and headed over.

There was no access, so I made a few shots on the outside of the fence. I developed,

scanned and printed three and headed over the next day. I showed them to the chief and

he invited me in. I spent 2 more days shooting the action. My producer grabbed model

releases and contact info as I shot. We sent prints and emails to the stations, but didn't

hear much back.

About a year and a half later, some of the same firefighters knocked on the studio door for

a fire inspection (we failed). I dug out all the work to show them and they said I should

ride along for a day. Down to city hall I went to fill out the waivers. In between shooting

jobs, I spent about 12 days over 2 months with Station 11, riding with Chief Keith and the

Fire Academy. Becoming friends with everyone definitely opened a lot of extra access.

All photography on my site is mine, although I regularly work with a producer and stylist.

"Moments" is my latest work all shot on film w/ a 4x5 and Leica MP. I started the

"moments" work as the antithesis to all the digital work we do. I immerse myself into the

scene to become part of the action. I rarely use the viewfinder as I want to rely on instinct

and intuition. I use one camera and one lens for each project. 80mm w/ 4x5, 24mm w/

Leica & a SWC.

Thanks again for looking.

Thanks, Brian, for providing all these most inspiring details. As far as I understand, OFD has basically been sort of an "investment" - a very successful investment, artistically speaking, IMHO. Keep up the antithesis, and keep us posted! :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...