Hasselblad Focusing Screen Issues

vincent_alpino

Hello all,

I recently bought a 503cw (used) and love everything about it, EXCEPT the focusing screen. I'm not sure if

it's third party or what, but in looking at its markings I can't find anything like it in Hasselblad's system

compendium book.

The problem is its got this strange thing where I can see nothing on it at certain elevations, but when I

lean really close I can see a vignetted image (while using a 60mm f3.5 CF Distagon on it) that is nearly

impossible to focus. It reminds me in a way of the ground glass on my Linhof, but horrible to work with.

The previous owner kept the camera in immaculate condition, so I'm assuming the focusing screen isn't a

cheap part, but maybe specific for some application? In any case I was just wondering if anyone might

know what this screen would be or any suggestions for replacement. Thanks, -Vincent

Your focusing screen should be an acute-matte D model. To check remove the viewfinder and look down at the screen. Check the screen frame. You should see two small divots in the edge of the frame somewhere. If not, your screen has been switched at some point and you have an older model which isn't as good. You shouldn't have any problem focusing this camera!

Not something strange like being upside down, is it?

The Acute Matte's are bright, but not always the easiest to get used to focussing in some cases. But unless you are talking only of the little split rangefinder bit in the middle, which can darken easily, it sounds something is odd in this case.

Does the flip up magnifier help? Do you have a prism finder and, if so, is the problem still there?

Failing further good ideas and sleuthing on your part, can you call the Hasselblad distributor? Or otherwise get it checked or even a a pic for here.

Nick

PS Congrats on the camera! It will come good.

This is as you already suggested not a Hasselblad screen.

Some screens by other manufacturers are known not to be acurate.

The later Acute Matte D screens are best suited for this camera.

They are easily recognised by two small notches near a corner in the metal frame.

If you use a metering prism or think about getting one do not buy a screen with a split as this interfers with the metering.

The compendium is a great help to select a screen that will suit you.

I second Paul's comments. This is definitely "not" a Hasselblad screen. I would contact the seller to see if he has the original screen and ask if he will swap it out with you. Sometimes the owners don't even really know anything about the screens.

The camera did come with an Acute Matte D screen when sold new.

The first 503CW cameras were sold in 1994.

The first Acute Matte screens did not arrive untill 1996.

Just statistics.

A minority of these cameras were supplied with the early version of the Acute Matte.

To avoid confusion go for the later screens that are easily recognised.

Depending on the age/history of the camera a CLA might be sensible.

Have this carried out by a qualified technician who is able to check mirror and screen alignment.