Help me select between D1X & D200

cham_saranasuriya

i went the other way that the people have suggested here. i had a d1x and then got a d200, a week or so later, i went back to d1x. the main reason was the focus problem with the d200. back focus and inaccurate focus soured the whole deal. my d1x never gave me any grief.

just my penny.

D200 when everybody dumps it in favour of a D300 :-)

While the D1X still can take great pictures, you need to work much harder to get decent

images. And it eats batteries like mad. IMO AF performance depends a lot on the conditions

and the lense, for some cases I prefer the D1x, for others the D200 (AF-wise).

I'm still using D1x's for most of my photography and although I never used a D200 I have the D80 which is a good little camera. I get 400 + shots on 3rd party batteries so two will get me through the day.

Yes it's old technology and you have to post process a little more then the newer cameras but the image quality is there. It's still a great camera.

Rick

Gallery 95% D1X: http://slopoki1.smugmug.com/Nature

Having a D1X now for over a month and using it extensively I can say without a doubt I love it. The meter is very accurate, very little PPing necessary unless you want to get artsy fartsy. Auto focus is fast and accurate. The file size is good to work with at almost 6mp but interpolates out to almost 11mp very well. This is a true interpolation due to the CCD layout unlike other camera bodies. Takes a bit to understand but works very well. The $39.00 2400mAh 1 yr guarantee batteries from BatteryBarn last. From what I've seen, those that complain about batteries are passing along what they've read or are turning it on and off and or chimping a lot. Leave it on and let it do it's own thing, the reaction time is really infinitesimal and the battery will last a lot longer. You would be limited to 2gig cards because of the file system. But for me it's not an issue as cards are cheap and I'd rather not have all my eggs in one basket.

I've shot Off Road GP Scrambles, theater, open air concerts, figure skating and float planes in Anchorage. It handled it all very well. The proof is in the pudding. It prints extremely well at about any size you wish.

In the sports end Maybe I could use a higher FPS but picking and choosing my shots and angles I get what I want.

But it all depends on what you want and what is important to you. For me glass is a bit more important than the body as long as the body is a good one. I was able to get a puff D1x with all the accessories and a nice lens in a focal length I was lacking for way less than the price of a D200 which is what I was considering too.

I'm very happy with my choice, Don

• 2 weeks later...