Image Stabilizer and Monopod

chinmaya

Hi,

<p>

I recently bought a monopod (bogen 676B with 3229 Swivel Tilt Head) to add to my

photo-hiking-gear. Tripod was too heavy/bulk for long hikes.

<p>

<p>

I have XTi + 28-135mm IS. I notice that monopod is not helping me get any better

images than what I used to get with 28-135 hand held with Image stabilization on.

<p>

<p>

I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong...

<p>

<p>

Has your monopod helped you get clearer/better images ?

<p>

<p>

Whats the best way to apply monopod usage to get clearer/better images

<p>

thanks

<p>

chinmaya

<p>

"You have to turn off IS when your using your monopod."

That shouldn't be necessary. Even old IS systems work well with monopods. Monopods don't have the rock solid stability that tripods do, so Canon's IS systems generally work well with them.

I find that a monopod usually adds 1-2 stops of stability to a non-IS lens, and perhaps 1 additional stop to a lens with IS, but this is highly dependent on the user and the lens. Monopods only stabilize in things vertically, and if that's where most of your shake is it can help. If you shake more horizontally, it won't do much for you.

Either way, a monopod & IS combination is no miracle cure for shaking, and if you are using a shutter speed that is too slow for you to hand hold you will need to go to a lightweight tripod. -- Then turn off the IS.

Monopods make a big difference with non IS lenses, particularly at low shutter speeds but with IS and with smaller lenses it won't make that much difference especially if you are good at steady handholding. It becomes more noticeable with longer zooms, like the 70-300 or bigger, particularly when taking close ups.

I normally keep IS on when using a monopod or lightweight tripod and the 28-135 or 70-300. I find that a cheap lightweight tripod isn't a lot heavier or larger than a monopod but is much more versitile.

However, if you are still unhappy with the results from your monopod maybe the problem lies elsewhere. Are you sure that your lens is focusing correctly? Check manual and auto focus; the 28-135 can be a bit soft in some circumstances and I always apply a little unsharp mask. Also, are you using the best lens settings? What subjects? If you are taking distant landscapes and the air isn't totally clear you won't get perfect results whatever you do.