TIPS FOR H.S. FOOTBALL PICTURES AT NIGHT?

scott_southard

Hi everyoone.

It is about that time again for high school football.

I will be taking pictures at night with my Canon 20d equipted with my

Canon 75-300mm 2.8 EF IS USM lens

My question is how should I set up my camera and lens for the night shots.

We have good lighting at the field.

Check out my photos at my flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbchsfootball/sets/

GO TO THE BLACK JERSEY GAME SET.

Also you can check out my photos at my website: www.bbchsfootball.com

I really want to take my sports photos to the next level.

Any suggetions would be apprecieted.

Thanks.

Scott Southard

Tips: high ISO like 800 or 1600, Tv mode (if it would be too dark you'd have to use Av mode and fastest aperure), fast lens, tripod or at least monopod. 5 fps, few fast 2GB memory cards, continuos AF. I think that's everything. Try to use RAW, if buffer is too small use JPGs.

Scott,

I asked this very same question right before you did. I got a bunch of good feedback. What I ended up doing is bumping up the ISO as it got darker until I ended up shooting at ISO 1600 by the end of the game. If you go to my flickr page ( Zack Jones) and look at 08_10_07 set you can see the ones I took recently.

• 3 weeks later...

I use an EOS 1D Mark III with a 300 2.8 I also invert a flash on my monopod using a super

clamp and hook it to my Turbo Quantum. Inverting the flash sends the light in an upward

motion from about a foot below the camera and lights up the eyes hidden in the helmet very

nicely. I have been doing it this way for the local paper for the past 2 years. It's a neat trick I

learned shooting combat assignments with the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit out of Camp

Pendleton CA. Give it a shot it makes for some incredible lighting. And who ever said to

leave the flash home...NO, bring it with you, it helps pull coller out of some of the darker

jersies and helps with darker uniforms. I highly recomend a flash ( a decent one anyway)

Enjoy shooters it's football season.