Canon EOS 400D?

daniel_horande

Hi,

Im thinking to buy a SLR Camera. At this moment i have a Sony DSC-H9 and i want

to switch to a SLR.

Ive been looking through Canon, Nikon and Sony, and i dont know which to buy.

Do you have any suggesiton?....

Any Problems with Canon 400D?... Flash Charge fast?... Battery?, what about lens?

I need to decide between Sony A100, Nikon D40X and Canon 400D Rebel.

Thanks for your comments!

Daniel Horande

All the cameras you mentioned above are very good for your purpose considering this as your first SLR. all of them have excellent features

to capture decent photographs.

And about choosing lens completely depends on type of photography you want to do. Otherwise for start up kit lens is just fine.

One thing that I did not know it that the Rebels and some others have a crp factor of x1,6. This means that is like you had a permanent (some people do not like it) Teleconverter of x1.6. This means that with a lens of 75-300 you can get 480mm.

Look at the original of the following picture and you will see the details of the zoom. (It is the cheapest 300 of Canon)

IMG_0079

Canon EOS 400D will give best results in quality if you compare them to sony and nikon cameras that you have suggested. If I were you I would buy used EOS 20D and 18-55 for beggining. Then I would choose lenses and flashes depending on what kind of pictures I like to take. I would choose: EF-s 10-22, EF 50/1.8 and 100mm macro USM + non-canon ring flash. What kind of pictures you like to take?

If you are new to this whole DSLR scene, any of those cameras will do well for you. You can

probably start out with the inexpensive "kit lens" (on the 400D this is the EFS 18-55 f/4-

5.6 - often included virtually for free) and learn your way around the camera before

investing too much in lenses.

As you use the basic camera and lens and learn more about the equipment, photography

in general, and your specific interests you will start to figure out if the kit lens is

insufficient and, if so, what other lenses might be appropriate for you.

I'm a Canon guy myself, but both of those other brands are fine. In fact, I hear that Nikon

is selling a lot of cameras in this entry level DSLR category.

"Canon EOS 400D will give best results in quality if you compare them to sony and nikon cameras that you have suggested."

No. All these are equally fine cameras. Given similarly priced lenses and the same photographer, they will all give about equal quality images.

The fact is, you should also look into Pentax and Olympus SLR's in the same price range. The only big technical item really worth factoring in is whether to buy into a system with in-camera or in-lens vibration reduction. This has a lot to do with whether you intend to grow out the system over time.

If you foresee budgeting more money (much more than this initial purchase cost)the Canon and Nikon systems will work better. The other makes generally have in-camera vibration reduction and are better initial values.

Mike,

Although I use the Canon system for the better noise characteristics of their sensors, it may or may not be the most important thing for every individual. Noise is not much of a problem unless one is really critical of the photos s/he takes. For casual shooters it isn't much of a concern.

-- V

If you go with Canon then you'll be able to take pictures with less visible noise in low-light situations, and you'll have a bigger selection of lenses to choose from as you build your collection.

If you're not on a tight budget, also consider the 30D (rumours of a 40D in next few weeks too).

wow... thanks to all, and your answer...

let me explain a little bit more... i introduce to photograhpy like 2 years ago, just for hobbie. Well... it become a viciuos for me, hhehehe

I had a Kodak Z7590, Sony H5, Sony H9 and now... that i know how to use a manual camera, i want soemthing more advanced... so, i want a DSLR.

The use?... Hobbie and common pictures... when there is a birthday party, or travel to the beach, or whatever or when the moon is shinny and big:-)

I think, i could need like 2 or 3 lens, to cover my wishes?...

BTW... its hard to finde this kind of camera in Departments stores.

I would stick with canon for the better noise performance and better assortment of lenses to chose from. Also, know that the limited line of lenses form Sony is way overpriced. 400D or 30D or even XT 350 would be fine to start if you want to save soem bucks. I agree the kit lens is fine to start. But I'd also get a 50 1.8 lens to experiement with dof and background blur for portraits (very cool). You could get those items for your price range. Later add a longer zoom like the 70-200F4 or 70-300IS for about $550 more.

• 8 months later...

I have just purchased a new Canon EOS 400D....Its an amazing machine....I do have ONE BIG QUESTION to the manufacturers: WHY bother having a larger LCD display to see all the menu and settings? The last thing I thought was to get to use the small viewfinder above to use it forever to take the pictures....I have other cheaper and small resolution cameras that use the lcd as the viwefinder...No idea why. I did went to visit the manufacturer and learned this:

Issue: How do I use the LCD as a viewfinder?

Solution:

Due to the design of the camera, this feature is not available. For this feature to be available, the camera must be capable of flipping the reflex mirror up, open the shutter, and read a live signal from the camera's LCD. Unfortunately this is not possible on this model.

So again!....What a waste of great resources. Perhaps me being a photography fan and not a pro makes me not at all happy about this.