please help me decide regarding Q flash

michael_notar1

i have a quantum q flash. its a battery powered strobe, 150 w/s, while my canon 580 flash has approx

50w/s of power. i use the canon all the time, and not the quantum.

curious to know if there is anyone else like me, i mean who's still using a q flash or equivalent. if so what

are you shooting? i crank my iso to 200-800 all the time and the canon is great.

with what photographers are/were battery powered strobes popular with...? MF wedding perhaps...?

I use the T5D, and the T as a backup. I also have the 580. It's more of a personal opinion for sure, but I light the quality of the light on the Quantums and the power when needed, therefore I use them most of the time. There are so many options, such as using the dome, the dome with the wide angle, paint the dome white for softer light, bare bulb, bounced, and several types of defusers made by Quantum or something you make yourself. I'm not putting down the 580 flash at all. It's a remarkable flash unit. You can use all sort of attachments with it as well.

I've got the T2 and a Turbo battery. I just picked up a second Nikon SB-800, so that tells you where I am going with this. I just find that there are fewer and fewer occasions where I can't make do with the SB-800 speedlights (equivalent to your 580's).

Since I can plug the Turbo into the SB's I don't find too many times when I need the power of the Q-flash. Plus with Nikon's CLS system, where I can trigger and control output of both flashes with the pop-up on my D200, it obviates the need for PWs. Plus, now trying to sync the Q-flash with my two SB-800's is an issue.

So I find that the Nikon CLS is giving me a great portable, lightweight, and integrated solution to lighting needs. I think my Q-flash might get sold soon. I am looking at a couple of Elinchrome Ranger system for portable power when I really need to do a 'studio' type shoot outside.

My sense is that my Q-flash, which has served admirably, has become a middle ground solution that does not serve at the low end because of it's size and need for PW's - to not quite enough for a big setup. Not finalized on my decision, but...

According to the latest free DVD movie from Quantum, with the new hardware mentioned in the last "few seconds" of the video, you can have the Quantum flash operate like another Nikon SB-800 flash, in team with other SB-800 flashes in CLS.

Single commander is supposed to control the Quantum flash the same way as SB-800. Or the Quantum flash can be a commander for SB-800 and other quantum flashes in one multi flash setup.

With approximately 3X more energy that Quantum flash repsesents over the SB-800, addition of a Quantum power and preserving the CLS exposure control would be welcome. For ambient lighting, one Quantum flash could replace 3 SB-800, if just the energy equivalency is concerned. (not the flexibility to use 3 flashes instead of one).

Believe it or not?

Since there were so many "far fetched" promisses on part of 3rd party vendors, or more so by their distributors, claiming Nikon iTTL/CLS compatibility that proved far from desired or advertised, take the Quantum advertising to "test before invest".

Use SB800's for most stuff, Quantum (on manual) on a stand and Halo for group shots or shooting couple in front of a background.

Right tool for the job.

I have done some awards type coverage with an Sb800 and it overheated and only fired 1/2 power after awhile.

So when lots of power or lots of shots in a row, Quantum is the way to go. FOr higher iso or long ambient exposures, Sb800 is fine (candid wedding stuff, general event coverage, etc.).

I like the quality and modest boost in power of the Quantum products. Off camera and

rigged up with your modifier of choice, at the end of the day you will appreciate the Q. They

take a little dedication to learn there controls. At the end of the day you will really appreciate

their versatility and professional quality.

Their customer support is exemplary.