Round Trip: Grand Rapids, MI to Bozeman, MT

bill chardon

I'm taking a trip starting about the 7th of September. Me, my cameras and

flyrods. Visiting a friend in Bozeman and am interested in which route to take

on the way out and back. Although my time is limited, I'd like to take some side

trips - not the tourist stops. More like the cool old junkyard in Fargo.

Currently I'm thinking about stopping in the badlands on the way out, and on the

way back dropping down through the west side of Yellowstone and through Jackson,

Dubois Wyoming. But from there I don't know what would be the most "target rich"

environment. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Maybe go up to Mackinac, across upper MI peninsula, Duluth to I94, 94 to Lewis and Clark site at Mandan, Theodore Roosevelt NP, Marquis de Mores site in ND Badlands and then across to Bozeman along Yellowstone River with possible stop at Custer Battlefield on way to Bozeman. Down to Yellowstone and Tetons, across to Devils Tower in NE WY which is not far from SD Badlands, Wind Cave NP and Rushmore and then back across I90 with mandatory stop at Corn Palace in Mitchell SD. Side trip along Mississippi River(between La Crosse & Minneapolis) and short detour to Field of Dreams in NE Iowa before winding your way to Madison and a stop in Chicago to catch the Cubs in the 7th game of the Series with a final stop in Gary or South Bend. I realize many of these are tourist stops but target rich areas are at a premium in this part of the world. Of course you could do the entire itinerary in reverse! Either way, you should make it back to Grand Rapids in plenty of time for Christmas. Whitey's Bar in Fargo provides endless opportunities for barstool portraiture.