Rollei TLR / Rollei 600X / Hass 50X

vanja

Hi all!

I know this is something asked more than one but I really haven't reached a

conclusion so here it is.

I've done much reading and browsed for reviews of the 3 camera lines from

subject (on this site especially also) but most of the info is rather old (just

a few comments from 2007 and 2006 is barely enough). I'd like to know a bit more

about real field usage (details below) and experience and especially how are

these cameras comparing to the modern digital ones - I must say I still prefer

the film medium since I like to "get my hands dirty" but with enough of a push I

might just cross to the other side of the street :-)

I don't know what to say any more, just that here are some guidelines to my

thinking and needs - if it can be of help. My aim is a nice all around system

that can be used for (in that order):

- street portraits; especially since I'm working on a local people portrait

project and this is generally the theme I like to do (since it is the most

demanding for me)

- studio portraits; no makeup, just plain/honestly portrayed face that gives out

the eyes and the soul (I don't really like fashion stuff)

- landscapes; nature was and is a great drive

The question is about the choice. I guess I'm the final judge with my personal

quirks but I'd firstly like to hear some fresh opinions.

Other info:

- I do mostly B&W (my own developing)

- but I like slides as well (especially cross processing)

- 6x6 is preferred format (I do not publish for magazines, mainly it is for my

own satisfaction and gallery work)

- macro would be nice but I can live without since I own Mamiya Universal with

extension rings

- current Rolleiflex is about 50 years old and works nice but I can't help

wondering if the new lenses from eg. Rolleiflex 2.8 FK or PQ lenses from Rollei

are "much better"

- also, Hasselblad is much appealing as a others but I've been reading that

Rollei has a bit better lenses and craftsmenship so I wouldn't mind the narrow

used market if it meant to be working with "better stuff"

- I also don't mind working with one lens, been doing that kind of photography

so much I kind of got lost when I grabbed my Nikon and zoom lenses after a long time

- quality is my first requirement, after that comes reliability (standard CLA is

a given, but I really like the feeling that the camera just works -> that is

probably why I like the TLR's and pure mechanical cameras so much) and the rest

is at about equal 5th place :-)

- maybe in some distant future a digital back would be an option, but if I ever

got to that kind of money, I guess a new camera would not be a problem :-)

OK, I think I pretty much covered the basics.

Thanks to all for the effort!

If needed I can also post the sites and sources I used for info...

Bye bye!

Vanja

The new Tele Rollie TLR just out should be quite nice for limited portraits. I hesitate to think how much it must cost.

New lenses better? On test benches and they will have more contrast and less flare and maybe a little more sharpness.

I know people who say old Rollie 2.8 3.5 tlr`s and are sharper than Hassys with 80mm. Hassy with 100mm or new 120 are real killer lenses, but do you need or even want that?

If you want to get into digi, a film scanner is the way unless you have big bucks. But get a good one, Mac computer, and perhaps Photoshop.MF files will be large, so you need a computer that will handle it.

I see no push to cross over. My darkroom is still stocked, but the Nikon D200 see some use. Hard to give up a scanned Leica neg though. I think they blow away the D200.

Rollie is a real nice slr too. Can`t go wrong.

Vanja,<p>

If you like slides, I don't think digital is the way to go IMHO. An $100 slide projector will outperform any "digital" projector in terms of resolution and color rendition.<p>

Concerning the camera, I believe every one you mention will be good optically and quality-wise. I don't have any experience with the Rollei & Hassie SLRs but their interchangeable lenses might add this extra bit of flexibility you need for the different kinds of shooting you do. Be aware, though, that their "low-speed hand-held" shooting capabilities are limited compared to a TLR, hence you probably will have to carry a tripod with you. With my TLR I can shoot at 1/30s and get sharp pics.<p>

If you have the money, a 5-grand Rollei 4.0FT TLR (135mm lens) might be an option to you. I'm just dreaming of it ;-) My 2.8FX was already over my budget but I don't regret any cent I spent on it, and plan to use the beauty for at least the next 40 years or so :-)<p>

Good luck and keep us informed about your choice !!<p>

Etienne

Well, I think you've largely answered your own questions. You clearly prefer film to digital so that's sorted. I use both and don't have any problems with either. The trick is to work out what I want to do today!

As someone who uses both Rolleiflex TLR and Hasselblad, I'd say that there's no obvious difference in lens quality, so it's down to personal preference, as always. The Rollei 6000 series does have several advantages over the Hasselblad, especially if you like automation. I tried out a 6002 and it was very nice but not enough to make me want to change. From my trial, there's no obvious difference in quality, you may well have the opposite opinion.<div>00MEib-37953484.jpg.a4ec072f02556a85f9ec437fc4ed35bd.jpg</div>

First of all, thanks for the responses.

All in all, I think the budget will be the main force behind the decision :-(

If it had been for the quality without expenses, I'd probably go with Rollei 6008 + Rolleiflex 2.8FX :-) As it is, I'm still ambivalent about these choices: <br/>

- Rollei 6002/6006 80 F2.8 PLANAR HFT (BAYONET VI) (6000, SLX) used, for 900$ at KEH<br/>

- Hasselblad 500C/M (Chrome), Waist Level, A12 (120), 80mm f/2.8 Planar C (Black) used, for 650$ at B&H

Seams that Rollei GX/FX are a bit too expensive at the moment, especially since I already own an older version (3.5 Tessar M...something). Anyway, I'll try and post some conclusion later, if and when I decide :-)

Thanks again for help!

Vanja

For all that you want to shoot I believe an SLR would be a better choice. In Hasselblad there's lots of equipment and deals can be had at auction. The camera sits long in your hand, prisms add another vertical dimension to the body making it seem bulky. In Rollie the body has metering, but there are much much fewer items around and not near the amount of deals as the Hassy. The camera sits more upright; Not as front heavy with a standard 80. Batteries last a long time. I don't really see either as an all around camera. I certainly wouldn't use one exclusively to cover all that you would use it for.

Sooner or later you'll need the crop and you'll be cutting back to 645, a smaller camera with usually just as much around at auction but at better prices and depending on the brands lineup some great lenses.

I'm not a 6x6 portrait shooter. The camera doesn't appeal to me in the studio as I don't like cropping to 8x10 when I always want to fill the frame. On the street a 35mm cannot be beat. For landscapes if you want cheap and can carry weight an RB can do the job inside and out plus it has bellows for macro work. For landscapes a LF camera is the ticket unless you need speed and then from what I read it's a Mamiya 7 (metering) or a Fuji 6x9, no metering. We all have favorites and suggestions, just don't expect one camera to do it all unless it's small format or perhaps a 645; Try Pentax.

Hi all!

Well, the deices have rolled :-) I found a used Rollei 6008 Integral complete package (80mm F2.8 Planar PQ, back, waist level finder, battery, charger and some more stuff like filters, car charger adapter etc.) for about 1200Eu.. The stuff is on the way (I hope!!!), and you'll get an update when it arrives :-)

Thanks for the help!