Speaking of snakes...

jd_rose

This fellow was hanging out in the rocks that I have on the north corner last

Sunday morning...The yard is overrun with chipmunks and the coop has some

chicks. I am sure it was looking into that. Can't blame it, I like chickens too.

Usually, these rattlesnakes hole-up or crawl away, this one actually moved

toward me. Not sure why. We chatted for a bit and then he realized I was much

too big to eat. Move along. What a gorgeous animal.

I have shared this picture with a few friends trying to get a ID, no one is

really sure. This snake was light olive green in color not the brown, pink, or

golden that I normally run into. (Note: the creature was in the shade of the

early morning...the blue cast really does not help.)

What kind of rattler is this?<div>00MEf5-37952384.jpg.fd711b84be1fb76aa58b6599a44fee85.jpg</div>

To properly identify this snake, a little more information would be helpful.

Where did you see this snake (town, state, etc.)? What is the elevation?

I assume this guy had rattles on his tail? The picture does not show the tail, and the banding that may exist there...

Based on incomplete info I guess that this is a Mojave Rattlesnake, Crotalus scutulatus. AKA as a Mojave Green.

If so, give this guy a wide berth- their venom is both hepatoxic and neurotoxic- much more dangerous than a typical diamondback.

Thanks for sharing your photo.

Thanks.

It is at 4300' elevation, Church Wells, Utah, August 12, Sunday, I think about 9 am., Nikon D50, (P)rogram, (A) or (*) WB I think. Yes, rattles, I could hear them. Unfortunately, I did not get a good, clear shot of the tail and rattle.

I know, far east of typical Mohave country, however, we are now getting 110 degree days, less than a decade ago 104 was hot here. And Greens have been spotted here before, recently. Even quail are showing up here. First time ever.<div>00MEg7-37952584.thumb.jpg.d7d986e8ff7f382524fef5b4f270176a.jpg</div>

Interesting thought, Mr. Knight,

The snake exhibited no lethargy, and it also had a fineness to it's scale that did not indicate shedding. This was a large, mature snake, 1.3 meters or so, probably done growing, or at least slowing.

JD would have to agree with Ekik, about this being a Western, however I only live in

ratttlesnake country and don't have the required PHD to discuss this subject. Keep up with

the photos, and I'm glad someone is getting all the rain, out here between Death Valley

and the Sierra's (north of the Mohave) we haven't seen a drop. It has been the driest year

on record in California but the Desert's seem to be really getting it hard, everything is

dormant, never had spring flowers, nothing! And you can tell it's affecting the wildlife.

JD, It looks to me like a Western Rattlesnake(Crotalus viridus) either a Midget faded(C.v.concolor) or a Great Basin(C.v.lutosis. To me it looks just like some of the Midget faded's I have seen, but where the two subspecies come together there is interbreeding.

Sorry if someone has already answered.

Leave a tag on it saying if you know what this beast is please write to photo.net ATT JD! hehe in 6 months or so, some brave nut will pick it up and write to us! Ask for the weight and age too while you are at it. I won't leave the computer until we get a response!