D2X owners

john_.

I am currently thinking about upgrading from a D200 to a D2x... was just

wondering what D2X owners thought of their cameras, quirks, noise levels ( not

audible, the kind shown in images haha ) things I should look for...

thank you in advance

The D2X(S) is state of the art in the Nikon world. I am very happy with it and have very few complaints. I do not shoot ISO 800 and above for a paid assignment. Some do and they still liked the images.

Subject tracking is superb with the Cam2K. Just need to get used to some menu configuration.

The D2X/D2Xs is more robust, has even better AF (9 cross/T-type AF points), and I prefer the location of those AF points over the diamond shape arrangement on the D200. Otherwise, the controls on the two cameras are quite similar.

Is there any particular reason that you would like to upgrade?

One thing to keep in mind is that the D2X is a 2+ year design and may be due for an update.

The autofocus is MUCH better, reason enough for me to make the switch.

While the D2x is older, and possibly due for replacement, to me that just meant I got a mint (1500 clicks) USA model in the box, extra batteries, DK-17M, and a bunch of other stuff for 2400.00. The replacement, should it be coming, will be considerably more.

I dont worry about the noise issue anymore-- Noiseware, Noise Ninja, etc. have it well in hand.

This is repeating what Shun said. Why do you need to upgrade?

You have to also be aware that Nikon will be replacing the D2X with another model soon. If you really want a D2X, waiting a little longer will save you big bucks once the replacement from Nikon hits the shelves.

Going from D200 to D2X/D2Xs will give you better AF performance, better ergonomic in vertical shooting (directional keypad at rear of D200 is very difficult to reach with grip when shooting vertical,) better battery life, lockable settings (too many times D200 settings get knocked out during intense shooting,) instant view of ISO, WB, and IQ settings, and 8fps high speed crop when you need it. Wait if you can, but if you have something to shoot today that requires such tool, go out and get one.

Hi,

I just made the switch from d200 to D2x. As everyone states above, the D2X does much faster AF and is a more robust body. It is made for heavy use.

The downside of the D2X robust body is the size/weight. In that respect, the D200 is magnificent: a compact body that does everything well.

Be prepared to get a new camera case and a somewhat larger (small) backpack for the D2X.

John,

I use both cameras. The main advantage to the D2X is the autofocus, especially in low light. Not a lot of difference in high ISO performance. IMO, if you properly expose with either camera at ISO 1600, noise is minimal. I think Nikon shooters have become so paranoid from all the Canonites talking about noise, that they fear high ISO and wind up underexposing and making the noise look terrible at 800 or 640. I have vertical grip on my D200 so the ergonomics are similar. Unless you're having problemns with the D200 AF or need 8fps, I'd stick with the D200.

Paul

I've been using a D2X since it first came out ($4000+), and love everything about it. I picked

up a D200 as a back-up, but wound up selling it as the image quality was clearly inferior.

Once a new model comes out, I'll be picking up a second D2X body for a back-up.

I never use high (noisey) ISO's... that's what tripods are for.<div>00MFHG-37967984.thumb.jpg.fd478f004113fb4fd68c9bf50ae6d44f.jpg</div>

D2x - better durability if you plan on hundreds of thousands of shutter activations, longer battery life (if D200 is not used without optional battery pack), faster capture rate, faster autofocus in all conditions, faster low light autofocus with or without the SB800 for IR AF assist.

The D200 has better image quality, especially for skin tones with tungsten light sources, and provides good results above ISO 640, where the D2X starts to rapidly break down and noise climbs dramatically. The D200 by way of comparison is very good with regard to noise up to ISO 1250.

I would also expect but have not tested it that VR lenses would perform better on the D2X.

Menu structures are very similar so it is easy to move between bodies.

The D2x does not have the problem of the D200 with accidental shifting of the S/M/C lever and provides more accurate autofocus in difficult situations, i.e. backlit or low contrast subjects. I also find I get sharper images hand held at slow shutter speeds with the D2x. It may be due to the greater mass of the camera or it may have better internal dampening of the mirror slap, but regardless it is quite a bit better in this regard than the D200.

There is no anywhere near the gap in performance as was the case between the D100 and the D1X.

I shoot with a D2x and love it for many reasons. In fact, I really don't see the need to

upgrade...it has plenty of resolution, it's really fast, and solid (could probably use it for

self-defense if needed!). Here is a link to an editorial I shot with my D2x a month ago:

http://magazine.indulgedfw.com/SS/Page.aspx?

secid=31658&pagenum=2&sstarg=&facing=false&

They were all shot at either 400 or 800 ISO. The light was low, crappy quality, and mixed

tungsten and daylight. Shot Nikkor primes, either 50 1.4 or 35 2.0.

I WILL say, however, that I like my F6's form factor better that the D2x for lots of candid

and travel stuff. It is basically a trimmed-down D2x...same viewfinder, autofocus, etc.

The D200 is probably the same size as the F6, but I like the robustness of the F6 and pro

electronics.

My wish and fantasy...a digital back, a la Leica R8/9, for my F6. Oh, God, I'd never buy

another camera again!!!

Dave.