30D vs 40D

cjtj50

" David, that's complete speculation with nothing to back it up.

The MKIII-style High ISO NR processing in the 40D might have a positive effect on noise, as might the redesigned sensor and - probably - 14 bit A/D conversion: the only thing the Digic III processor brings to the table is the ability to handle the additional processing.

Noise is generated at the sensor - before Digic III plays any part in the equation.

The presence of this processor or that won't, in itself, make one iota of difference to noise performance - it's what they tell the processor to do (in terms of 14 bit processing, NR algorithms etc.) that counts.

Don't forget that the 5D has Digic II..."

This is from Canons very own website Keith: " Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processor

Developed to maximize performance between the capture and recording stages of digital photography, the EOS-1D Mark III?s Dual "DIGIC III" chips give the camera two of Canon?s newest processing units, working in parallel, to dramatically enhance image quality and deliver the speed and power needed to combine 10 million pixels and 10 frames per second. The latest-generation DIGIC III Image Processor works in concert with Canon?s new CMOS sensors to achieve even higher levels of performance. The entire electronic system is totally re-designed, giving the camera its incredible combination of speed and image quality. Digital noise is significantly reduced in shadow areas, and color reproduction is superior."

The statement I made was that the new platform of DigicIII as an overall package would be better. I know this because I've used the 20D at 3200 and it sucks. I own an XTi and its better than the 20D at 1600. With that said, I know the 40D will be better than the XTi in that respect. The XTi is a good camera, but we all know it isn't as good as the 40D. As for the 5D, FF sensors have generally been better in the past for noise control and the MarkIII has blown past it with the 1.3 crop sensor. Its because of the all new package that the DigicIII platform brings to the table. It all has to work together.

Maybe it's the nefarious influence of all that grainy GAF 500 I shot back in the old days, but I really don't agree that ISO 3200 is so bad on the 20D. In fact, at the time it was released, many reviews specifically praised the 20D for being better at high ISOs than many other cameras. I too have a XTi, and it's nice, but I don't see much difference between the two at ISO 1600. The attached full-size snip from a hand-held night-time shot with a 20D at ISO 3200 out the window of a moving car certainly shows some noise, but compared to other cameras (and high-speed film) it seems OK to me. Opinions may vary, of course.<div>00MKpW-38127984.jpg.ece3836d8e69be127600913324337689.jpg</div>