Loupe suggestions for 4x5

david_simonds

Friends, I am looking for suggestions for a focusing loupe for my anticipated

4x5 rig. I was looking at this 6x from Silvestri that tilted for better

ergonomics,allegedly. Perhaps a silly question, but do the magnification

demands change depending on the length of the lens? I was thinking that the

detail in a wide angle image is more "hidden" than in, say, a macro shot, and

might require a stronger loupe. Just musings from a newbie. Don't beat me up.

David

As Ellis said, a 4x is good (it's tempting to get as large a mag ratio as possible, but that tends to magnify the grain on the groundglass more then the image). I don't think a tilting loupe would do much, because you're going to want it perpendicular to the glass (unless I misunderstand how it tilts).

I wouldn't spend too much; the demands (wrt aspheric elements etc.) are much less than for viewing transparencies. I like the rubber-ended Toyo, for $44:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61094-REG/Toyo_View_180_301_3_6x_Groundglass_Focusing_Aid.html

Make sure whatever you get can take a neck strap, because there's a lot of looking and putting aside then looking again.

I use an old $2 Kodak Cine Ektar 63mm f2 lens.

I was looking for a loupe long enough to reach through the depth of the hood of the Speed Graphic. I had heard someone say they just use an old cheap telephoto lens and I started sorting through some used gear and junk at a camera store in the Boston area. On a hunch I looked through the lens with just my eyes. Looked bad. But before I put it back, I was like, "wait a minute" and I turned the lens around and looked into the FRONT of the lens. I turned it to f2 and set it for "24 inches from film" (movie lens terminology). I put it up against a piece of clear plastic that was standing up in the store and lo-and-behold... every single detail that was on the surface of that plastic came in super sharp!

$2, not bad for a nice loupe!

Good advice from all of the answers provided above. In addition to the loupe, I would highly recommend that you get a very high quality ground glass back. Replace whatever is on your camera with a glass from Satin Snow. Then, whatever loupe you employ will give you a much brighter and clearer image to work with. In my opinion, it is much better than trying to use a fresnel focusing screen with a typical ground glass.

Daniel,

I can't find readers over 3.0 commonly. Any suggestions for sources?

Silvestri is a nice loupe and it is a good concept. Tilting a magnifier improves the image on the ground glass when you have very wide angle lenses and you are looking at the edges of the ground glass.

The strength of the magnifier won't make any difference regardless of the width of your camera lens. What makes a difference is that the rays reaching the edges are traveling at an angle. If you view these rays at the same angle they are approaching the ground glass, they will be nice and bright, looking straight into the ground glass the edges may appear very dark.

Fresnel lenses are another aid to viewing the ground glass as they help you see the edges because the fresnel bends the light back toward the center. Again this makes a difference more so with wide angle (short) lenses.

I have clipped off a portion of my schneider 4X loupe so it is effective near the corners of the ground glass. When tilted far enough to handle a 65mm lens, the loupe used to be raised too far away from the glass for it's own (loupe) focal length. With this modification, it works just like the Silvestri.

David-

You might want to wait till you get your equipment before making a judgement about the loupe. I am near-sighted and found that is an advantage. Without glasses on, I can get close enough to the groundglass and focus without any problem. So I don't bother with a loupe for the 4x5 or 8x10 cameras I have.

I'm quite nearsighted and I still use a loupe or magnifier. I can see finer detail that way to more accurately set the focus and judge what is within the depth of field. I agree that about 4x is a good choice -- much higher and you just magnify the grain of the ground glass. I usually use a magnifier from Edmund Optics since it is easy to orient to the light rays from a short focal length lens. For either a loupe or magnifier, you want to adjust the focus to be on the grain of the ground glass. This can be easier to do when there is no image on the ground glass, just a glow from light.