Polarizing filters

vasilis1

1. I have an EF 100-400/IS L lense and assessed that I need a polarizer filter

(77mm) with it. There are several brands available, some very expensive (e.g.

Heliopan). Anyone have recomendations, based on experience?

2. I also gave a 12-24 Sigma lens that does not provide a thread on the front

part but a gel filter slot on its rear. How does one fit a polarizer filter on

it, or is this not possible at all?

My body is a ful-frame 5d, if that is important regarding vignetting.

(1) I'd go with a Hoya HMC circular polarizer. Shouldn't be any vignetting problems with a 100-400 zoom.

(2) You can't (at least not easily or practically). You can get polarizing film, but at the rear of the lens you can't rotate it and it's hard to find a circular polarizing film anyway.

If you're looking to darken skies, polarizers on wideangle lenses aren't a good idea since you'll get uneven degrees of darkening across the sky due to the variation in polarization.

For your sigma check this out from photozone.de.

"Due to the extreme design Sigma had to choose a very protruding front element so there's no front filter thread by default. However, when attaching the lens cap holder there is a option to mount a filter here (82mm). At 12mm this can cause slight edges shading though so front filters can only be used from about ~14mm & up (I wasn't able to test the limit though). There's a gelatine filter slot at the rear of the lens (useful for color filters for B&W photography)."

This protruding front element is the reason I opted for the other sigma 12-20 that only works on crop body. I figured my 17-40 would be wide enough if I ever get a 5D. So it seems you may be able to purchase an adapter for those screw on filters. I'm sure an 82mm circular polarizer will be expensive. I don't use polarizer very often and am happy with the somewhat more affordable

• 9 months later...
Thanks to all, although with considerable delay. In fact I had some problems back then with my PC and forgot I had asked that question ("Old age doesn't come alone". An ancient Greek saying in free translation...).