Pelican case--pick-n-pluck foam or padded dividers?

lisa_b4

Time for a new camera case! I'm very impressed with the new Pelican 1510 rolling

hardcase which is also a legal carry on bag.

The case comes either with the pick-n-pluck foam or the padded dividers, and I'm

wondering what others who have Pelican cases think about the interior padding

pros and cons for each style.

Thanks!

Lisa

I'd recommend the padded dividers.

The pick-n-pluck may offer slightly better protection, but in my experience the padded dividers are more than adequate, and the case will hold a *lot* more with the padded dividers.

Depending on the load, I'd say the dividers give somewhere between 20-40% more storage capacity for the same pelican case

I also favor foam. More versatile, less trouble. I've had the 1510 confiscated on a full flight, luckily I convinced the attendant to stow it up front in a locker rather than tossing it below. I think it just makes most carry-on limits and looks rugged enough that the crew tends to pick it out for removal. YMMV. Nice case though.

I use pick and pluck in all three of my cases, but they are specifically for specific equipment and only for that equipment. Nice, because I know there won't be any jostle in the case.If you're going to use it for different things, then the pads might be the way to go.

The pick-and-pluck foam costs about $150 less than the dividers and offers better protection for specific gear. I recently shipped a video camera and accessories all around China in a Pelican 1650 case without any damage to equipment or the case itself. As long as the equipment is insured against pilferage (funny that baggage handlers get less scrutiny than grandmothers and two-year-olds), I have no qualms about checking it. At least in China you can lock the case before checking it.

A Pelican case is not a good choice for carry-on, especially with rollers. You lose too much space with the thick-walled case, even with partitions, and gain too much weight with the roller stuff. Rollers are a PITA on steps, even in an airport (q.v., Newark and the O'Hare International terminal). You are guaranteed to be singled out to check it.

Thinktank makes excellent backpacks (and rollers, if you insist) that are weight-efficient. The have a rectangular shape, which packs more gear than the stylish, oval outdoorsy packs, or the sling-bags with the middle-aged paunch. I carried still, video and sound equipment on board in a Thinktank "Airport Addicted" backpack. It was a workout, but worth the convenience. So far, I haven't been challenged on weight as long as I carry the bag. Rollers are a different matter.

Lisa, the padded dividers work great in the

1510.  I ordered my <A

href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330237-REG/Pelican_PC1514_1514_Watertight_Case_Black_.html">1514

from B&H</A> for $153 a few months ago and have had no problems with using

it as a carry on.  I would recommend picking up one of the <A

href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/242571-REG/Pelican_PC1500D_Silica_Gel.html">Silica

Gel packs</A> and throwing that in.  You can recharge the silica

gel at any point in your oven.

<p>If you are tempted to buy the <A

href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391421-REG/Pelican_PC1519_1519_Photographer_s_Lid_Organizer.html">1519

Lid Organizer</A>, my opinion is to save your money.  The only real way to

use it is to remove the foam from the lid of the 1510 which removes major

protection for your stored items. 

<p>I went to Walmart after my purchase and picked up

some foam from their fabric department.  I cut this to provide extra height

to some of the divided sections and to further cushion some items.

<p>Buy the case, you will love

it!

I have ben using a Peli 1520 for a long time now and have been very impressed with it. Baggage handlers simply cannot damage it no matter how hard they try!

I have recently ordered the deviders as I find the foam gets in the way of using kit in the field. However, the foam gives excellent protection in transit.

My Plan is to use the foam for transit on aircraft and the deviders at locations. I use both medium format and 35mm/digital.

You can buy second hand deviders for ?30.00 from ffordes.com. They are a company I have bought from previsoulsy and are reliable.

A Peli case is a very sound investment.

Hi,

Lisa I have the Pelican 1510 and it is a very well made case. The rollers and handle do not

add any significant weight to the case. Rolling it up steps is not a problem either but I

would pick it up if I was going up or down a flight of stairs.

Originally I purchased with the foam and then ended up ordering the interior padding.

In my opinion the foam works well for carrying hardware but the padding is better if you

want to carry both hardware and accessories in a single case.

Good luck!<div>00MHdt-38041684.thumb.jpg.fafb7c4a513f16270c5c266cc8896b2e.jpg</div>