Size vs Content

Pete- thanks for visiting the blog- at least someones's looking!

FOABSTRACTOS.blogspot.com Yes still mostly an Olympus point and shoot. I have gone

through several- all Stylus. I am currently using the Stylus 1000- a whopping 10 mega-pixel.

Although there are some questions about the true MP count because of interpolation etc., the

product is still very nice. Nice video and slide show features too. A definite recommendation.

I have, a few times used my Canon 5D, but that is rare. It is too bulky and expensive to use it

the way I make my art- plus it is somewhat in contradiction to my acceptance of randomness,

wherein my exposure is concerned. I like giving myself limitations, and then making it work

within the given limitations.

I think the size effects the photograph greatly. Enormous picture need to have a reason to be that way. Weather it is playing up the intimidating factor or adding a grand unreachable feel to it, it can't just be big for no reason. For instance a 10 ft. monster would look frightful but a 10 ft girl will be silly. On the other hand, small 4x6 and 8x10 will give a quaint personal feel to any image. It draws you in. So seeing an image of people interacting with one another would pull more at the hart at a personal level. So ya, size matters. Always give the image what it needs.

Diana- First of all, you should use spell check- its hard to continually read misspelled words

(professionalism is important in all aspects of the photography business). That aside, I don't

want my images to be "quaint". Many times when I see small, "quaint" work, it doesn't

impress me. Quaint is defined as: something attractively unusual or old-fashioned. I'm not

interested in old-fashioned, unless it is old. I continually strive to push the medium forward,

and myself along with it.

I believe print size is only one of many artistic decisions the photographer must make. I also believe it is easy to be swayed by the gallery practice of pricing prints "by the square inch". Would we pay the same price for a 4x5 contact print as for a 45x60 print? Granted, the material cost is more for the larger print, but the primary cost should be for the image.

Ken