need help to select a len

tscheung

I haven't used either of these, but I think that it would be a fair assumption to say that the later lens (the 24-70 2.8L) is going to be better quality than the older version (the 28-70 2.8L).<BR>

However, if you get the chance, then have a look at both and do some tests to see the IQ of each version to see if you have a good copy or not.<BR>

Also the 24-70 has a closer focusing distance of 0.38m compared to 0.5 on the 28-70, if that makes any difference to you.<BR>

Enjoy

Have used both. On a crop camera, the 24-70 is a little more helpful. Otherwise they are close enough for most purposes. If the price difference is significant, I would go for the 28-70. However, the difference is probably not all that great, as the 28-70s have maintained their value quite well. It is up to you to decide how much those extra 4mm are worth. Personally, I prefer the 24-70 simply because it goes wider.

Keith

I have a 24-70. I also have a 50/1.4. I got a the 24-70 to avoid having to change lenses.

Read the Luminous Landscape review where they compared it against the 28-70 and it was

decidedly sharper. After I took some test shots (was not expecting much since I had the

50/1.4) I was unexpectedly pleased. The test shots from the 24-70 had very sharp and had

rich and vibrant colors. 24-70 highly recommended.