Vanishing Critique?

How weird. I posted a critique yesterday for someone who had requested one -

and now the critique request, my response to it, and the picture has

disappeared! Why? Do some people post pictures asking for critiques, then

remove them if not everyone says - "oooh lovely what a smashing photograph you

are my idol"? If people do remove them for this reason then what's the point

in requesting a critique in the first place? I was only being honest and

constructive...

Pete, if a person's goal is to try to develop a good, tight portfolio, then it is perfectly reasonable that they would use the critique process to help edit and direct that portfolio.

I see nothing wrong in removing from your portfolio work that doesn't measure up in the minds of the general viewing audience here.

I can't bring myself to do that though. I have images that have rated really poorly or received little attention which I think are great and can't bring myself to part with. But, I admire those cold enough to cull the images that they may like but which remain unpopular.

So, for some, the point of critique to find which images are generally liked and then cull the rest out. That is a reasonable use of critique.

Good point Ian. Trouble is....it means that the photograph and critique is no longer there for other people to learn from. I'm sure most of us can learn a lot from other peoples' "not so good" images as it helps to avoind doing the same. This is perhaps more effective than learning through trying to copy all the good ones!

I suppose there's something I can take from this though - other people just did high ratings, I did average ratings and pointed out where I thought the image didn't look right, and I assume the photographer must have agreed with me :)

That's a good point too Pete -- we certainly could learn a lot from the partial failures or half-done images of photographers. Alan Briot makes just that point in one of his articles that he wrote for Luminous landscape. We get to see the trial work of many artist (sketch books) and even some half-completed paintings -- we never get to see much of the process for photographers. Images that were changed or improved upon thanks to critiques would certainly provide a glimmer of that sort of insight.

Moreover, I do feel a little cheated if I made a lengthy critique on a photo and it is gone by the time I go to see if there has been a follow up.

That's exactly what happenned - I was hoping to see some follow up either from the photographer, or at least comments from other people, to see if anyone had the same thoughts as me. Ho hum - never mind :)

I'll try and find a copy of the Alan Briot article. It sounds interesting so thanks you for that.

Pete

Photo.net should have a rules to about critiques. Perhaps they should have to stay for a minimum period of six months out of respect for the person who took the trouble, time out of a busy schedule etc. to write a critique and for all those photographers who want critiques and don't get them as often as they would like.

Its both selfish, bad mannered and not sporting to behave in this manner. Other photographers are supposed to be able to benifit from contributions put up on Photo.net - what's the point of having a site like this if everyone behaved in this manner.

I feel so strongly about this that I may just stop wasting my time contributing in this way. I am a busy person and this is just loathesome disrespectful behaviour and I don't want to be irritated by it now or in the future.

My message to the guilty members is if you can't stand the heat get out of the fire. No one is perfect and pretending you are is just pretentious and ridiculous. Grow up and get a life and stop wasting the time of generous people.

My message to the Moderator's please put safeguards in place to protect well meaning members from this form of abuse.

Jennifer - thank you for understanding. You obviously feel how I do about it. If I put in the effort to give something that I think is constructive, the least that should be expected is that it can be shared with others, rather than just disappearing for good. If someone asks for a critique then the least they should do is allow that to be shared as well. Some people seem to be all take and no give!

BTW, your more than welcome to critique my stuff and I promise never to delete anything.

Inger, I understand what you are saying, but I like to see the progress that someone has made - all the little steps that get to the most recent best work. It's helpful and interesting.

Night all!

Pete

"but I like to see the progress that someone has made - all the little steps that get to the most recent best work."

Maybe this could be a new presentation of yours, with your own photos, where you offer your advice and ideas?

When I give someone a critique I think that I am giving it to this person (and not so much anyone else) and if he/she wants to delete the photo, it`s Ok, because I know that he/she has read my critique. Maybe a "learning"-presentation is something you could do? I`m just throwing out an idea:):)

<p><em>Its both selfish, bad mannered and not sporting to behave in this manner.

Other photographers are supposed to be able to benifit from contributions put up on

Photo.net - what's the point of having a site like this if everyone behaved in this manner

</em></p>

<p>Interesting reaction, but not one I can agree with. IMHO it's the right of the

photographer

to decide what to do with their images. If they wish to remove them so be it. What right

does anyone have to force them to do otherwise; after all, it's their picture? And remember

that not all critiques are equal. Some are insightful and useful; others just miss the point,

or are lightweight and purposeless. And sometimes you can be unlucky enough to get

critiques that are insulting or obscene, especially if an image has offeneded someone's

sensibilities.</p>

<p>Any blanket suggestions for how critiques work have to be applicable equally well in

all

these scenarios. For which reason, I suspect, the process is designed to work the

way it does now.</p>

I can understand someone being confused about why another photographer would delete an image they had critiqued, especially if it was thoughtfull and fair, but it also has to be seen from the view of the person who took the photo.

Personally, I am a heartless culler. Every so often I go through my images and "cull the herd" and I would be lying if I said it wasnt sometimes painfull but if it doesnt stand the test of time I get rid of it. TO tell you the truth, I've cut images from my porfolio that had some very complimentary comments and high ratings as well but I just didnt feel the photos stood up against my other work.

I've visited portfolios where there are some 200+ photos and while its great they have such a plethora of work, I cant take the time to study the photos the way they deserve and give constructive comments or praise. I dont want the extra space taken up by something that doesnt work for me. I've never deleted a photo because of negative comments. But when it starts doing nothing more than taking up space and competing for attention with some of my better shots I get rid of it. Not to disrespect the people who left critiques for me, but to help me have a clearer view of what I've done and what stands the test of time, and what has worked for me.