Member of the Month at WPPI!

german

Hey, thanks Vlad and Conrad.

No fee involved.

As I photograph special events, I took a Nikon I purchased at the show (WPPI) and photographed the ladies night, awards ceremony, etc. I then got in touch with the editor at Rangefinder who asked that I send a CD with the images.

Fortunately, they liked several images and they published them on ... I believe it was May's issue of Rangefinder (it had a cover with a lot of red in it -- I can't find it!) and I got some $$$ for my efforts! (That was good!)

Since I was communicating with them (Skip Cohen and then editor Bill Hurter -- now I see it is Oliver Gettrell) I asked them to check out my site. They did and told me a writer would be calling me for an interview.

And they featured me as member of the month!

It seems like it paid to have captured some nice images of the show and then having contacted them about them (and then having submitted them).

cool. good for you. my impression is that far too many of these articles are 'pay to play' advertisements disguised as editorial material.

I have little but contempt for the people who publish these magazines and pretend to have journalistic, editorial content.

Thanks Debbie, Amy and Conrad! It feels like a great honor. We'll see how it plays out as far as new business, etc.

Conrad, it might be. A lot of magazines -- of all kinds -- are out there trying to sell us one thing or another .. and perhaps plugging in people who might cause us to buy this thing or the other.

In this case, however, I did not have to pay them anything. What's more, I made a bit of change from the show by having my images paid for (by Rangefinder). (It's the May issue, by the way. Starting on page 96, having images up to page 115.)

The way I got to the show, by entering images in competition (for the first time in about 7 years shooting weddings) and making it to the finals. I got a free registration. So, no money out of my pockets ther either ... well, I did have to pay to submit the images!

Hey Jan, David and Peter,

thanks for the messages!

If you see the photos they published you may notice the heavy, distinctive use of available light (even in those dark quarters). (I was using a tripod for some of the shots and slow shutter speeds, at about 800 ISO, even for the "grip and grin" shots I got during the award presentations.)