being in a couple of different galleries), I've decided to try my hand at

wedding photography. I currently own a Canon Rebel XTI, with a canon EFS 18-

55mm and Canon EF 75-300mm, a 4GB memory card and 3 lens filters. My question

is... what else am I going to need in order to be fully prepared for shooting a

wedding ceremony and reception (about 5-6 hours of shoot time). I've done a

bit of research and I know I'm going to need an external flash that can rotate

vertically and horizontally- but which one? Any suggestions? Also, I

understand that I'm going to need a back-up camera, extra camera and flash

batteries, lots of practicing and reading up, but what else?

I've got about a year to try and gain as much experience as possible before my

first wedding, which will be for a friend, who knows that I have not

professionally shot a wedding before. I have, however, taken some shots at a

couple of weddings I attended recently for "practice" and you can view those

photos in my portfolio. To view the rest, and all of my work, please visit my

www.jmmphotography.ifp3.com

Any suggestions/advice/constructive criticism would be great, thank you.<div>00MD9b-37918384.thumb.jpg.63b4d538d9f9afe520384532620c1e73.jpg</div>

As stated above flash and backup flash essential - fast lenses, lots of extra batteries, and memory, basically, backup for everything.

Aside from reading books and pn, I would suggest photographing people in all sorts of lighting for practice. Take as many people shots as you can over the next year at parades, family parties anything. -Find out if you will be able to use flash in the church.

Also be sure your computer is up to handling hundreds of raw images.

Best wishes and welcome to pn

>>> what else am I going to need in order to be fully prepared for shooting a wedding ceremony and reception (about 5-6 hours of shoot time). <<<

You list you have:

Canon Rebel XTI; EFS 18- 55mm; EF 75-300mm; 1 x 4Gb, 3 filters; about a year to try and gain experience

You list you need:

external flash that can rotate vertically and horizontally; a back-up camera, extra camera and flash batteries; lots of practicing and reading up.

My more detailed answer regarding a faster lens(es):

It is unclear exactly which lenses you have, but that does not matter all that much, in relation to speed, which is what I based my comment upon: (except perhaps if the 75 to 300 is an IS version): all the smaller zoom models are: f/3.5 to f/5.6 and I believe all the 70 to 300 models are: f/4 to f/5.6.

The main reason why I suggested a faster prime lens or zoom, is if you are caught at a service where flash is prohibited: in a zoom in this situation you will require an f/2.8 zoom. And one that receives high praise here is the EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

I have not used this lens, but those whose opinion I respect have.

Obviously with a faster lens one has the capacity of more available light work, and creativity with the availability of shallow DoF portraiture, and a greater working distance with flash.

Personally considering the two zooms you have, I think your lens money would be better, initially spent, on two primes rather than one zoom: perhaps the 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 and the100mm f2.8 macro.

These two primes, added to your existing lenses and one more APS-C body will provide a flexible body / lens combinations to cover most Wedding scenarios, at very little initial outlay.

The money saved from not buying a fast zoom can go towards TWO flash units,(2 x 430EX would be fine), a diffuser, more memory cards and tripod.

The most valuable prerequisite you need is experience: use the year wisely and shoot as much as you can in the Wedding environment and at the pace of a Wedding coverage.

WW

On the one hand, I would recommend the opposite in terms of glass than William. I find myself using my 17-50 2.8 on my primary body all the time. It's a 2.8, and that was a requirement when I purchased a "normal zoom." But it was far more useful for me to get the zoom.

However...that is irrelevant, IMO. I think you need both before you start. Fast normal zoom, and a couple of fast primes. A 2nd (not backup) body. You might consider relegating the XTi to the 2nd body and getting a better body as the primary. 2nd flash, both with diffuser of some kind. You can go without bracket on some of them (my preferred method).

Other recommendations have been good - lots of batteries, lots of memory (I'm at 14GB with me now, though I am considering the switch to a different memory format so...ugh). And tons of practice.

allan

>>> On the one hand, I would recommend the opposite in terms of glass than William. I find myself using my 17-50 2.8 on my primary body all the time. <<<

Yes, I agree with disagreeing with me too.

My primary criterion for suggesting two primes was spending as little as possible and complimenting the existing kit as much as possible: which requires USING the kit lens as the primary zoom outside in full sun / flash fill at f/7 to f/11 and inside with flash at the same apertures.

I should have spelt that out.

The 17 to 55 F2.8 IS would be a superior and more flexible option however, if one has the $ to spend on it and a fast prime or two as well.

WW

William,

Good point. I wasn't thinking of complimenting, but that makes excellent sense. Expenses could also be determined based on what is available for rent, locally. For instance, a wide angle is fairly low on my list as I can rent one for $15 per instance, and I don't really use it that often, anyway.

I would spend the money on a 2nd body first (which then requires another lens, though the primes might be fine on it, I guess), then flash and diffusers (hot spots == bad), then fit the additional lenses in there. You need that 2nd body asap.

allan

Jacalyn,

I've been thru your website and it looks like you're more interested in Photoshop than photography. And that's fine if that's what you want to do-I don't mean to sound judgemental-but that doesn't make for great wedding photography. If I were you I'd spend your year learning about photography and not worry about gear at this point.

As far as your attached photo, if you post an image no larger tha 511 pixels wide, and add a caption, it will show up in your post and fit on people's monitor screens. The image itself, IMO, is poorly lit and captures none of the beauty of the pregnant you.

I'll echo Paul. Tilting the photo and using selective color doesn't make it great. In fact, if used at the wrong time both of those things tend to make a picture worse. Focus on your lighting and exposure techniques as they need some help and study everything you can about how to compose a beautiful picture. Oh, and the one thing that helped me the most when I first started was 'You can't break the rules unless you know them'. Learn the rules. :)

Some experience?

How about getting your feet wet with someone first, then look to do a couple gratis. You may be able to do fine, but this would give you the little boost you would likely need.

On the kit; At least one more body, another lens (Tamron 17-50/2.8 perhaps?) and possibly a faster prime like the 50/1.4 or 28/1.8)

I would recommend at least one flash (backups of everything are pretty well expected these days, and knowing Canon's gear of late, much needed). A plethora of CF memory is wise too.

Best, D.

Extra memory cards for sure, a speedlight...the 430EX is a good, affordable start as long as you won't be utilizing wireless flash for a while.

I would suggest getting a 50mm 1.8 and get lots of practice with various portrait scenarios (traditional and enviromental) at diffent apertures. Your website seems to be stronger in the detail shots than the people photos. And as mentioned above, it also looks like you have used photoshop to get effects that should have been caught in camera, such as shallow DOF. With some practice you'll be able to get that while shooting which will make for much stronger,natural photos.

The tilted shooting is a bit much as well, it's something that can almost become a habit which you have to retrain yourself out of(at least that was the case of my husband and I). It works good for some details, some architecture and occasional photos where you may want to emphasize movement or action, but be careful not to overdue the degree of tilting. Also, make sure you always have a non-tilted version of the the same moment (like bride walking down the aisle) so the clients have the option.

Some books which may be helpful: Understanding Exposure (by Bryan Peterson) and Digital Wedding Photography (by Glen Johnson).

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Don't forget to set money aside for good sample albums, insurance, business liscense, framed prints, bridal fair, telephone, website.

You could spend as much in this area s in gear.

I wouldn't buy a single item outside flash and a 50mm. Shoot for a year under a pro.

Taught me alot, including how I don't wont to shoot. Toting brackets, zooms, and flash for 90% of my images wasn't for me. Great experience and grateful, but not the way I like to shoot.

Paul and Colleen:

You are right- I really do enjoy using photoshop, but I'd rather have the skill set to take the pictures with the camera and render those photoshop results. I hope to gain knowledge and experience in that over the next year.

Also, the very large photo attachment was a mistake and now I can't figure out how to delete it off of the thread. It was taken by my husband with my very first digital camera about 3 years ago and only 2.0 megapixels- I know it is very "grainy". I simply added it because I thought I was supposed to add a picture of myself and I don't have many since I'm behind the camera more so than in front of it:)

Ask yourself how your photos will be different from those of properly exposed point & Shooters. And speaking of proper exposure, you're going to be learning very fast the effect of back lighting on your exposures and the effect of a single bright light bulb anywhere in your composition. Count on a lot of badly underexposed images if you don't anticipate this very common situation at weddings!

Working with a pro will save you alot of mistakes, and also allow you to produce your own style. Back up equitment is a must. Insurance to protect you if sued, or your equiptment breaks or disappears on you. I worked with a pro for 2 yrs, and my first wedding on my own, the grooms comment to me was I looked more nervous than he did. Also don't go into debt, buy your equipment as you go. I would state that it is not the latest and greatest camera or lens that makes the difference it will be you capturing that moment that will make the difference. If need be rent some equipment and shoot some small wedding at cost plus. This will start your name to get around, and add to your portfollio or web site.

Jacalyn...

It's kinda hard to put it out around here. I mostly lurk. (my 4th post ever??). As a beginner in "the industry" myself, AND as a bride-to-be. I happen to like what you have on your site so far. I really did your style, broody and dramatic. Nothing wrong with loving photoshop (ftr, I hate it, I use paint shop pro).... whatever your style is, run with it. I personally would probably pick you over 90% of the photogs I've seen posted here so far.

Only thing I'd change would be the plucking out and highlighting one specific item in color (ie: ties, or the flowers). I like that effect, and have done it for others. It almost seems like you bumped that color up. I *personally* would soften those colors so it doesn't detract from the subjects. Having said that, I wouldn't throw those pictures away if they were ones you created for me.

Where are you located? I haven't picked a photographer yet. For real, I was kinda planning on *none*

*gasp*.