Problem with print density

I have an Epson R1800. When I use print with preview the print preview shows a

print lighter than the file I am working with in PS7. The resulting print is

pretty close to the preview but not the file as I see it in PS.

This problem started when I purchased a non Epson brand of paper and downloaded

a profile. Previously I had printed using the basic driver functions picking

the type of paper and such from the mmenus. The results were close enough.

Now I have a mess.

Let me be clearer.

Why would the print preview show a something different from the file in PS. I understand that an actual print will differ from the appearanfe on a monitor for many reasons, but shouldn't the print preview match the file?

i had never personaly take for granted what i saw in there; i use it only to see if my image fit my paper, if it center and if the crop mark appear. not even sure if this small window is color managed?

But again, is your screen calibrated? it is also normal to have a print a bit darker than the monitor, a curve with 5-8% less density overall could help. I have upload some action last week exactly for that purpose..send me a email and i will send it to you again.

>Print Preview dialog box in PS.

Print with Preview in any version of Photoshop isn't color managed (the little preview

window there). Ignore it. In CS3, the preview IS color managed if you use the Match Print

Color check box.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

>If print preview isn't color managed, shouldn't it match on screen the file I am working on?

Why would print preview show me a lighter version of the file?

The preview on screen that you're working on IS color managed.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

The document is color managed. You can't turn off color management in Photoshop.

The little preview of the document in Print with Preview is NOT color managed. It will not

match what you see of the document. They don't match. They do in CS3 if you setup the soft

proof for both.

than whats the problem? you like the uncolor managed version preview on the lithe window, the print look like it...and you know that your whole monitor is darker when you see your image in photoshop...

1_do you have a calibrated screen to start?

And i must not understand your question, because i dont see a problem then if your happy with the result!?

???

here is why, for a more detail answer, contact adobe, or use CS3.

Andrew Rodneyphoto.net patron, Aug 09, 2007; 09:43 a.m.

>Print Preview dialog box in PS.

Print with Preview in any version of Photoshop isn't color managed (the little preview window there). Ignore it. In CS3, the preview IS color managed if you use the Match Print Color check box.

Andrew Rodney Author "Color Management for Photographers"

The document is color managed. You can't turn off color management in Photoshop.

The little preview of the document in Print with Preview is NOT color managed. It will not match what you see of the document. They don't match. They do in CS3 if you setup the soft proof for both.

Andrew Rodney Author "Color Management for Photographers"

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

1. I open a document is PS7.

2. I work on the file.

3. I print with preview using color management options.

4. The print preview dialogue shows the intended print.

5. It is lighter than the file as viewed while working in PS7.

6. I print the document.

7. The document MATCHES the print preview version.

8. The print preview version does not match what I saw in PS7 (see 5).

9. If print preview is not color managed why isnt it the same as it appears in PS7.

10. When I DO NOT USE COLOR MANAGEMENT the print preview and the file in PS7 match.

11. This came up since I tried to use a non Epson paper and downloaded a profile which per the instructions required me to use the color management options.

I appreciate all help. Granted I am new to the issue of color management. However please read the ENTIRE post before shooting off an answer on part of the problem.

9. If print preview is not color managed why isnt it the same as it appears in PS7...

Because IT IS NOT COLOR MANAGED! that is why you WONT see the same image.

I like helping people, but i also like when people answer my questions too...

Oh by the way what are the exact step from PS to Epson driver you use to print your image?

>4. The print preview dialogue shows the intended print.

This preview is incorrect. You might like it, you might think it matches the print but the

preview isn't color managed.

The document, when set to soft proof (customize Proof Setup) IS the correct preview of the

numbers in that document as they will appear to the output device you select here. It

might not match your print. That's a different issue. But that IS the correct preview of the

color numbers.

>5. It is lighter than the file as viewed while working in PS7.

Whatever, its not correct UNLESS you use CS3 and select the Match Print Color radio

button. Then the two match.

>9. If print preview is not color managed why isnt it the same as it appears in

PS7.

For Position Only (FPO) work. You can change the size and position on the page.

Patrick

Two ways

Old - Use Epson driver, and papers. Just select Epson paper items (ie. Premium Glossy of Enhanced Matte, size, best photo, etc.) No item at color mangement options.

New - Use Epson driver use advance options to use the icc profile provided. I select ICM profiles under Color Management and under ICC/ICM Profile I click off. This is per my understanding from the manufacturer of the paper and from Epson)

Old - PS screen, print preview and outputed print all match to a resonable level.

New - PS screen is OK. Print preview is lighter. Outputed print matches PRINT PREVIEW to a reasonable level.

If the print preview IS NOT COLOR MANAGED why in one case IT MACTHES the file as it appears is PS and in the other case IT DOES NOT MATCH.

Andy, I started to play with soft proof but so far that hasn't helped.

Larry,

Ignore if you can the 'correctness' of the preview window and assume it is ONLY there to show cropping, position etc.

What you are asking, then, is why the image on your screen in PS is different from the printed image when you are using a new profile. The reason is that the new profile has not been created for your specific printer. What you need is a custom profile for YOUR paper & printer combination. This is what I suggested in my first post. You have also been advised to ensure that your monitor is calibrated, which is also essential.

David,

No, that is not what I am asking. I understand that.

From before: If the print preview IS NOT COLOR MANAGED why in one case IT MACTHES the file as it appears is PS and in the other case IT DOES NOT MATCH.

In other words people are responding that the print preview does not match the print becuase it is not color managed. No kidding. I am not asking about the PRINT!

I am trying to figure out what happens to the print preview. People have said multiple times that the print preview does not match what I see when I am working on the file in PS becuase it is not color managed. Well then if it isn't color managed why does the appearance of the print preview change with the settings I choose in the print driver. Wether correct or incorrect, shouldn't it stay the same?

ANDY - your book is not in Borders.

at first i tought it was april 1rst after couple of answer or comment from the OP that where going no where...then i try to convince myself it was someone who really need help and just dont understand...but now im back to my first tought.

God, Alla, Mohamed, Budha...can you help Larry in is misery before whe all go crazy?!

Chazam! here is the answer >

REAL WORLD COLOR MANAGEMENT & COLOR MANAGEMENT FOR PHOTOGRAPHER (who refuse to see the light Andrew should add) both at amazon, both well writen...both needed in your case, it will really, really help you.

Forgive me, but i will remove any email alert for this post. what have to be said had been said i think.