True or False? You be the judge . . .

micah_marty1

American/Parisian photographer Man Ray tells this story (don't try this with important clients!):

<p>

". . . I've even taken photographs without a lens on my camera. Once, I had to photograph a painter and I arrived with my studio camera and tripod and everything. I started to set up, but I'd forgotten the lens. I knew the size of my lens because I prescribed my own glasses, I knew optics so well. I knew that my lens had a 12-inch focal length, but of course I realized it would be a very fuzzy picture. I had a roll of tape and taped my own eyeglass lens onto the opening in my camera and just let the black cloth down, with a little hole in it, to diaphragm it. I opened the cloth and let it down, and I got the portrait of Matisse--a beautiful, soft-focus photograph with all the details visible."

<p>

So next time someone with glasses asks you, "What lens should I buy?" you can (if you believe Man Ray) just tell them to save their money for film (because they'll probably want to bracket a bit!). . . .