Lens wont turn to infinity on M8

Until yesterday my M8 was working fine, then suddenly the focus ring would not

turn all the way to infinity. This happens to both the two lenses I have with

me at the moment (on holiday in Italy) a 35mm Summicron ASPH and the new 90

macro. The lens rings turn all the way when the lenses are off the camera but

when on the camera they wont turn towards infinity beyond around the 20 ft

position. Any ideas? (Fortunately I also have my 5D with me).

Thanks

Philip

The fact that the fault occurs with both your lenses points towards the camera being the root cause of the problem.

I suspect the problem may lie with the rangefinder coupling arm just inside the lens mount at the top. If the arm is not travelling all the way back it can prevent the lenses from reaching infinity focus, where the lens needs to be closest to the sensor.

It is possible that a small piece of debris has entered the camera and that the arm is partly jammed. If you can see the debris, and can very carefully remove it, you might be able to solve the problem yourself. But you must be extremely careful, as the rangefinder mechanism is both delicate and precise, and can easily be knocked out of adjustment.

If there is nothing obvious inside the camera that would restrict the arm's free movement, there is some fault in the rangefinder coupling mechanism and the camera will need a visit to a workshop.

Do let us know how you get on. Good luck.

If you want to read a more detailed description of how the M8 rangefinder works you might

search over at the Leica User Forum. It may take a little effort but a post on how you can

adjust the rangefinder with a 2mm allen wrench includes very detailed pictures of the

rangefinder. The infinity adjustment is quite easy but may throw off close and intermediate

focus. If I was in Italy I would try it ...but it will almost certainly require a trip to Leica

service...

You should be able to push in the roller at the top of the lens mount so that it goes 6.5mm back from the front of the lens mount. (Buy a cheap ruler.) See if something foreign object is in the way. If it won't go, your camera needs repair, I'd leave it to Leica since it's almost certainly still under warranty. Bummer.

This doesn't strike me as likely to be the infinity adjustment being off. More like some part came loose and is in the way. Or the arm made a major shift on the rotating shaft.