Football Pictures at Night

zackojones

Greetings,

Tonight I will be shooting my son's scrimmage game using Rebel XT and 200

f/2.8L lens and I'll probably bring along 50 1.8 as well. This being my first

night time opportunity to shoot I have a few questions.

Is there a recommended setting for white balance? During the afternoon when I

shoot during practice I use sunlight since I'm out in direct sunlight. Would I

be better off using auto or tungsten or fluorescent? Fortunately I will have

the opportunity to work with another photographer who has been there / done

that already and will ask him for his recommendation as well.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

The best way to use white balance is to bring a piece of letter paper, put it on your subject

(the field in this case), and set a custom white balance like that before the game. The lighting

won't be changing, so you can use that same custom setting the whole night.

If you don't want to do that (and really I don't see why you wouldn't), use auto. It's pretty

accurate.

I agree with the previous response. Most of my stuff is done on auto. I take a test shot, and only when it looks really green or orange to I set a custom white balance.

Push your ASA as high as you can. Accept the noise in return for the fastest shutter speed you can muster. You'll be shocked how little light those stadium floods put out. Go buy a monopod if you don't have one.

Also, if you position yourself about 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage (while shooting the offense) or 10 yards behind the line (when shooting defense) you'll have the action coming at you, which will help with blurring.

Good luck. My son just finished his football playing days, so this will be my first fall not roaming the sidelines. Enjoy every minute of it.<div>00MBO0-37875284.jpg.722ee9f812eb6ba9db64eb8c248002ec.jpg</div>

Shoot wide open and high ISO, as noted. I personally use a flash, always. Though i use an F4 lens. You will probably be able to get by without one. With the 350D, i try to never let my ISO get above 800, but if i am down around 1/125, i bump it up. I get problems with banding at 1600 which is especially why i try not to go that high. Snapping a shot right when the ball is hiked will usually garner a good shot, atleast a 'safety shot' before trying something more difficult. I always use auto white balance, has never failed me outdoors. Shooting in a gym its near worthless sometimes, but outdoors under stadium lights should be ok.

If at all possible, avoid ISO 1600 with your XT. I shoot with that camera as well and iso 1600 is next to worthless to me. You can't always see the noise in the LCD, but you will sure see it on the prints. If you can't get the shutter you want at iso 800, then I would deal with the noise and go with 1600 because noise is better than motion blur. If you shoot at f/2.8, you should be in pretty good shape.

I shoot most night high schools sports with a Nikon D2X, a 70-200 f2.8 and SB800 Flash. My

ISO is around 800-1250. My exposure is at f2.8 @ 1/250 with TTL. I shot at 1/250 to freeze

action. I also shoot RAW this helps with noise and enlargements. Part of the issue is that

most high school soccer fields tend to be dungeons. High school football tends to be better

lit. I tend to shoot with shutter priority at 1/250 with my flash set at TTL, with my ISO around

800-1250.<div>00MBzk-37888784.jpg.e32f64b1cc7c68fc2444ab6cebea77dc.jpg</div>

Thanks again for the replies folks. It was quite a learning experience last night. I started out at ISO 100 when they first got started and by the end of the evening (approximately 9:30) I was shooting ISO 1600 f/2.8 and the the shutter speed dropped to about 1/60th.

Attached is one of the last photos I took last night. I guess I did a good enough job though as I've been invited to shoot the entire season. One thing I did find is there are times when the 200mm is TOO much of a zoom and I was chopping off heads and/or feet. I also had a few issues when the running back would be approaching my position. Even with the lens set to 1.xm to infinity there were times when it wouldn't focus.

I'm sure with more experience shooting football and with the lens in question I'll get better at it.<div>00MCSo-37900484.jpg.7dc5e5e7eb8dc91f455de9e8ba780855.jpg</div>