better practice after shooting

jfserejo

Hello,

I bought my first medium format camera - 501CM kit - and I'm a absolute beginner

in mf cameras. I read the manual of the camera, already done some shooting and I

love the camera. But talking to a friend this afternoon he told me that I never

should leave the shutter ___ - and here cames the problem, I can't remember if

he said that I shouldn't wind (and leave the focus screen blank) or should wind

(and leave the image in the focus screen) before put her in the bag!? Can some

one help me in here?

Thanks. Best regards,

Joao

You can leave it in either state without concern for the equipment, according to Hasselblad.

There's an advantage to leaving it cocked; you can see through the camera and change lenses

without having to wind it first. I suppose a possible advantage to leaving it in the fired

position is that you won't accidentally waste a frame if the shutter release gets bumped.

I attended a Hasselblad class taught over 20 years ago by Ernst Wildi....he advised to always store them cocked.....they we designed to be left cocked.

It will cause a lot less problems, if you pull a camera out to change a lens etc...if its cocked it won`t lock the camera up.

But its your camera do as you like.

Q.G. is quite right about using the darkslide to prevent accidental exposures, and I had to

stop and think for a moment why that didn't occur to me as I was writing my earlier posting.

Often when going for a walk with the camera, I'll put the darkslide in my shirt pocket when I

take the first picture, and not replace it until needed (changing backs, for example). My

backs were made before those darkslide holders were added by Hasselblad, and while I was

aware of the aftermarket holders, they just didn't look right to me. In any case, using the

gear mostly for landscapes, I always keep the gear ready to fire, you never know when a tree

or a mountain is going to suddenly appear :-)