Why a Leica M8?

summitar

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't justify it and bought a Canon 5D instead. I prefer a rangefinder, but there is a limit to the cost penalty I'll pay for the priviledge of using a rangefinder. When I want to use a rangefinder I'll have to stick with my M2. I especially like the 5d's full frame sensor and high resolution, which you couldn't get in the M8 anyway.

Hi Kerry, I appreciate your musing, and you got a few good answers why. But I can't see spending the money either. I'd rather take the 5 thousand and buy a Nikon F3 outfit and take a 20 day vacation to the jungles of Honduras and Guatemala and photograph Mayan ruins. It is a value call, people like the camera, I like traveling. I never owned a Leica. I wanted one, but a used Contax IIIa fell into my lap, so it was much "cheaper" to continue with that and 21, 35, 50, 85 and 135mm lenses then invest in a Leica.

You retired as a full bull eh? that had to be the toughest rank, all of the generals on top, and an entire wing or nuclear force below. Nice job.

I miss Jay on the board. Yea, he was an old crumedgeon, but he had a funny way about him that you could laugh with. He seemed a bit hounded unfairly also.

Bill M, you made a comment on Kerry's values, that was the part that was unfair to Kerry. FWIW, I used to be a dairy farmer, then a tech in the AF, now road trash. I don't have hot water in my house, nor is the tap water drinkable as you'll probably get amoebic dysentery from it (nothing that some el cheapo Flagyl won't fix). I spent 100 dollars 2 nights ago to dine alone, I can't figure this life out, don't try to, and won't judge another man.

• 1 month later...

If Leica put a full-size sensor in the M8 and charged 12k, I might have considered re-

financing my house for it. But the color cast problems would still give me pause. The damn

machine would have to be near-perfect.

My interim solution is to shoot film in my older Ms; treat the b/w film like film: eg. print on

silver paper, and scan the color into the Mac.