500mm F4 IS, Latest Version

neilbygrave

Hi

Advice on the following would be most appreciated, I have searched the web but

found no help there.

Does anyone know of a UV/clear glass lens cover/fitment that can be purchased

to protect the standard front glass of this lens ?

Also I have read that the front glass of this lens is replacable and not the

usual front glass of a normal lens and Canon can easily replace it should it

get scratched/damaged. Does anyone know if this is true ?

Many thanks

As Steve says, the front element of the 500/4 is protective (I believe it is an optical flat).

Apparently it can be replaced for relatively little money, maybe a few hundred dollars.

Aside from that, the lens comes with a large carbon-fiber lenshood which should be used at

all times. It has a rubber 'bumper' up front and provides considerable protection, as well as

shading.

I just purchased this lens, and below is a link to purchase tupperware style caps for the 500 f4, 400 f4 DO, and 300 f2.8 (the 400 f4 DO, and 300 f2.8 use the same caps):

I have copied and pasted from someone else's site, but I bought these caps and they work great, and are alot lighter than Canon's supplied cap:

http://www.classickitchensandmore.com/advanced_search_result.html?keyword=16-pc&search_in_description=1

Product 4/6

larger image

Canon Camera 500mm f4 Prime Telephoto Lens Lense Covers Rubber

$6.50

A pair of NEW plastic covers. These are # F-24-PC, (6.5" overall diameter), and # F-16-PC, (5.5" overall diameter). Canon does not make a lens cap in the traditional way for this lens. What they make is a large leather hooded cover. These container covers clip on like a normal lens cap and will help keep trash out of the lens while moving around shooting. The larger size will fit the hood and the smaller size the actual lens.

These are really direct replacement lids for Corning Ware French White F-24-B and F-16-B round dishes and Visions series 24 ounce casseroles. Microwave oven, refrigerator, and freezer use. These lids are BRAND NEW, and in perfect condition all over.

http://www.classickitchensandmore.com/canon-camera-300mm-f28-prime-telephoto-lens-lense-covers-rubber-p-881.html

Product 3/6

larger image

Canon Camera 300mm f2.8 Prime Telephoto Lens Lense Covers Rubber

$6.85

A pair of NEW plastic covers. These are # 7200-PC, (fits 120mm or 4 11/16"), and # 7401-PC, (fits 145mm or 5 11/16"). Canon does not make a lens cap in the traditional way for this lens. What they make is a large leather hooded cover. These Pyrex container covers clip on like a normal lens cap and will help keep trash out of the lens while moving around shooting. The larger size will fit the hood and the smaller size the actual lens.

Classic Kitchens And More

2406 N. Sherman St.

York PA 17405-2305

classickitchensyork@comcast.net

(717) 840-9537

Store hours are Friday & Saturday 10-6 and Sunday 12-5. Other hours by chance or appointment.

If you are looking for an alternative lens cap for your Canon 500mmf4 L IS lens then look no further. I found a post over at Photo.net saying that the Corningware lid F-24-PC would fit over the hood and lid F-16-PC

Here's my complete list of known alternative caps.

Note, some go on over the front of the lens itself, some go on over the front of the HOOD

Corningware f-24-PC Fits EF 500mm f/4L Hood, EF 200mm f/1.8L Hood, Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6EX Hood (needs a stretch)

Corningware f-16-pc/v-16-pc fits EF 500mm f/4L Front

<cite>I believe it is an optical flat</cite>

<p>Close, but not quite. The older non-IS superteles used a flat piece of glass as the protective front element. <a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200308/report.html#t9" target="_blank">The IS superteles use a slightly curved piece of glass as the protective front element, to reduce reflections</a>.</p>

• 10 months later...

Steve, I have to replace the front protective glass on my Canon EF 500mm f4L IS lens. I purchased the glass from Canon and I am going to replace it myself. I have the spanner wrench and I have done this in the past with one of my Canon FD lenses. My question is how can you tell the front from the back on this piece of glass? As you stated earlier, the glass is not completely flat but when you view it from the side, it sure does look flat. Thanks.

Ron