F4s LED light by film speed dial flashing?

jon benson

My F4s when I press the shutter release button, (no matter if the film speed

dial is on DX or manualy set to a film speed), the red light by the film speed

dial blinks and I'm not sure the shutter is releasing properly. I'm freaked

out. I checked the batteries and they are fine. HELP

Jon B.

Let's see...I don't have my F4 with me to check, but if I remember right the light blinks and the shutter will not release when there is no film in the camera, and the ISO dial is set to DX. So that's what is SUPPOSED to happen.

But yours is blinking no matter what? Does the shutter still release? You could run a roll of film through the camera at 1/8000th, f/22 with the lens cap on to see if other things function properly.

Well, I put a roll in and it still flashes red when the shutter is pushed. The film advances and the meter and auto focus work, but not the shutter. It does not seem to work on 1/8000th at f22 or any other setting. I tried changing the progam modes etc. Got any other thoughts? Like could you reccomned a good Nikon repair shop. Any ideas on the costs for shutter repair?

Thanks again,

Jon

It seems that the ISO dial doesn't know that it has been moved from the DX position. Maybe moving it up & down the ISO range a few times will "wake it up".

Outside of that it might be repair shop time. I've never had any repairs done so I can't recommend anyone, though Authorized Photo Service gets mentioned in this forum frequently (www.authorizedphoto.com).