Action junior high football

kimberly_gomez

I was recently asked by a regular portrait client of mine, to meet with her

junior high school sons football league. They are interest in my taking some

action shots of the players. They are interested in posting some pictures on

the leagues website. I have not covered this kind of event before and would

love some suggestions on which lens to use with my Canon 30D. I would also

love some suggestions on how much I should charge. Whether per hour or per

picture that is chosen. I would appreciate any suggestions I can get.

Thanks,

Kim

Based on your existing camera and junior high level of play, I think that the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 non-IS version, (or IS version if you wanted to,) is going to be your best bet. Close second will be either Canon 70-200mm f4 non-IS or IS. You'll have sufficient light to go with the f4 since you'll have lots of light as junior high teams usually play in daylight. As far as pricing is concern, you'll have to know your own turf and consider the use an organization will be utilizing your images.

Kim,

What lenses do you currently have? I have been taking shots at my son's practices and have been using 200mm f/2.8L lens and it has worked great for me. If you surf out to my flickr page ( Zack Jones) and take a look at the football pictures there you can see what I've done so far. The ones taken in July were taken using 75-300 zoom. Everything in August was taken with 200mm lens. I'll be taking some shots tonight at a scrimmage game and plan to use the 200mm lens there as well.

As far as charging, it's up to you. I would meet with them and see if they are offing to pay or if they are looking for someone to do this for free and then proceed from there. I'm doing my stuff for free as I love the game and being able to watch my son play his senior year of football from the sidelines is going to be great.

When it was my son's team, I only charged parents printing costs.

If it's for someone else, I'd suggest you make sure you're charging a rate that includes your valuable time and skills. My experience was that parents will order the same number of action prints of their children, whether you charge $2 each or $10 each.<div>00MBOI-37875784.jpg.73e2f6834387b27eb18452865a932ce0.jpg</div>

I really appreciate everyones help. I have some great idea's of what type of pics to take.

Wilson, thanks for the recommendation of the 70-200L. That is infact the lens I have and will be using.

Zach, thanks for sending the link to your flickr page. Wow, that really helps me with idea's on what to be looking for.

Darren, your right that picture is priceless. I can only hope that I get at least one as good as that one.

Thanks again you guys for you knowledge and insight, I really appreciate it.

Happy shooting,

Kim