collapsible backdrops

shaun_carter

anyone using collapsible backdrops (maybe 5x7 in size) for tight portraits of

the bride and groom? if so what is your lighting arrangement? i'm finding

that a few brides are wanting backdrop shots and i currently own none. if

they're stuck on having those shots i just refer them to someone else. i don't

want to invest in expensive studio lighting and large backdrops for only a few

shots. i'm thinking of something small and quick to setup and tear down and

something i can use 2 580ex's with. thx!

There are a lot of those backgrounds that sort of flip out and then you refold them into a circle. I have one and find it is a great quick way to have the look without the hassle of setting up stands and lights.

Since it is small you can work with your normal flash just be a bit back and crop into the space of the background. Makes great double headshots.

They are really cheap and you can have someone hold it or lean it on a wall or I have even used a chair flipped around to lean it on.

On occasion I take full background, stand and lights from my studio if the weather is awful and the location has no place to use. Did once in an Elk's club where the backround was literally in front of the bar! The photos look like we were in a huge studio with no problems. Little does anyone know how many people carrying drinks walked through the set up.

All of the catologs have the backgrounds and some have two sides that are different. I have seen one that is a neutral beige texture on one side and a nice relector on the other a good two for the price purchase.

Brooke

I agree with you about not investing in a large setup for only a few shots. I think a collapsible backdrop is a good idea. I have used a backdrop under a covered porch area and used my flash for just a tiny bit of fill. Natural light kicks artificial light's butt any day of the week!

I have a few if the weather is bad and/or the couple wants something like that. A couple of times, I HAD to shoot some bridal formals in the church nursery, and they came in handy. You can use your umbrella-ed 580EX as a main and on camera flash as fill for these--watch for background shadows though, since you normally don't have the space or time to set up background lights. You can actually use these with natural light, such as window light with a little bounced fill, for instance. I would get the slightly larger ones--6x7, which makes it more versatile for up to four people, half length, but no larger since it makes it harder to manage (folding and unfolding).