Rolleicord IV felt, the shutter jammed. is it worthy to repair it?

ricardo_villagran

Hello,

I want to ask the forum about this since I haven't found any other similar post

around. My old Rolleicord IV felt the other day on hard floor, the shutter,

which prior to the accident gave me some problems of jamming at the middle of

the rolls, now it is completely jammed.I cannot move it at all.

So, first I want to ask if it is worthy to repair it considering the cost of a

complete shutter overhaul, and the low cost of the camera... and also, if it is,

i wonder where I can send it for repair.

Thank you for any advice here.

Ricardo Villagran

I would get a quote for the repair - if you have it done you will have a camera that works well and with accurate shutter speeds - if you replace it with another one it may well need a CLR anyway costing nearly as much. If the quote is too much more than the price of a new camera and a CLR though, I would look for another 'cord.

I'm not a real believer in the "if a repair cost is more than a 50 year old camera, buy another 50 year old camera." All you get is another old camera that may or may not be in usable condition. The cost of overhaul will likely be $150 - 200. If you use the Rolleicord and like using it, having it professionally overhauled now will restore it to 'like new' condition and give you another couple of decades of reliable service. Here is who restored my Rolleicord: http://www.procamera.net/home.html . There are others, who will likely be mentioned soon by others... but these folks did real good for me.

"A Rollei is always worth having repaired"

That is nonsense! A camera is not worth having repaired when the repair cost exceeds the value of the camera. In other words you could buy another camera in the same or better condition for less than the cost of fixing the existing one. That should be obvious to anyone. The only possible exception would be if the camera had some sentimental value beyond its value as a photographic instrument.

Check with Harry Fleenor, Oceanside Camera Repair:<br>

www.rolleirepairs.com<br>

He did a great job replacing the bellows on my 2.8C<br>

Shutter overhaul is $134 plus parts and shiiping, according to his website.