Back-up DVD-R doesn't read

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem?

I backed-up photos onto TDK DVD-R's whilst on holiday. I checked the copy to

make sure the files were there. I sent these disks via mail. When I got home the

laptop I was travelling with had major problems so I re-installed windows

knowing I would loose the photos, but hey I have back-ups.

Now the DVD-R's can't be read on either my home computer or the laptop. The

laptop says 0 bits data and 0 available. My home computer is using an external

LG DVD-RW and says G:\ is not accessible, incorrect function. The disks look to

have data burned onto them. Any Ideas?

Thank you for any help

Peter

-- "...so I re-installed windows knowing I would loose the photos, but hey I have back-ups."

Lesson to be learned: NEVER delete/destroy data before you have verified, that your backup is working, and that backup media is still ok.

Try as many other computer as you can. Check if there is any dirt on your dvds.

Some burning programs (like Nero) allow to ignore read errors, as well as they allow to write an imagefile from your dvd. If you're successful in creating such an image, your images can eventually be derived from it.

I concur with the try as many computers as you can approach.

In the future, you might consider a better grade of DVDs: Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.

I have also read that DVD +R is a more robust format and has better error checking.

Something to check: Did you finalise the discs after burning? If you didn't, you won't be able to read them on another PC. Apologies if you had already thought of that.

By the way, just to reinforce the point made by Rainer: one reason to back up is so that you have more than one copy of your data. If you delete one of those copies and only have one left you are running a risk. Of course, your laptop problems may have been so bad that you couldn't have got your original pictures back anyway.

I make one hard drive back up and every once in a while make two additional DVD backups.

Regards and I hope you get your pictures back.

Alan

Thank you all for your responses.

Luckily, at a friends suggestion I was able to get my pics back using ISOBuster. I did think I finalized the DVDs, but at this stage I'm not sure any more. As yet I haven't had the chance to check other computers, but will give this a try just to make sense of it all. Your responses have helped me to be more aware and careful next time. As well as using multiple DVDs, I will try DVD+R and other "better" brands. I might also invest in an external HD.

Thank you all very much

Peter