GPS Sony & NIKON format NEF

doemoezi

I bought the Sony GPS tracker to use it with my Nikon.

Everything is working, except the insertion of the GPS info into the photo

metadata.

The Sony software only works with JPG, not with NEF, nor DNG!

Anyone an idea how to put the GPS info into a NEF or DNG metadatafile?

I use those two formats to organise the originals of my photo's, so I don't

want to work with jpg.

Txs for advice

Bjorn would that be a manual one by one image process?

I am thinking about writing a little program to write the gps location into *.tif and *.jpg files (extracted from a gps file) but if there is something available already.... Besides my vacation time is coming to an end - busy with too many things anyway and I must admit I have not even searched for public domain (or cheap) software already available.

Andre what is the battery time for the gps recording? I want something that will last about 8h on few rechargeable batteries.

No, heavens forbid it's done automatically for me when I import images into my image data base. Of course, you can't do this manually with individual images for reasons of sheer practicality.

I wrote my GPS routine mainly to add geo-coordinates in the UTM reference system as well, since these are needed for my other mapping and reporting purposes. EXIFTool picks out whatever data I need. I load only a small subset of the available EXIF into the data base since most of the stuff is just a waste of storage and tends to clutter up any useful information you can extract from the EXIF header anywway.

Thanks that saves a lot of googling .-)

Now we just need a list of small handy gps loggers with a compatible file format (Some Garmin models seem to strip some data on files) with long operating hours and AA size rechargeable cells .

Richard to the rescue? If I look at ebay here in Germany I find too many brands and models that seem to exist only for two weeks perhaps three.

• 3 months later...