body or lens ?

michael_k.1

Hi,

My 1st body, a d80 (18-135 3.5 / 30mm 1.4) will soon become the 2nd body.

As I'm starting with low budget weddings, the question is where should I invest

first ?

1) in a better body like a d200 (still good but 18 months years old) or

2) in a pro lens (nikon 17-55 2.8) ...with another d80

in any case, a d80 or tamron 17-50 should come in my basket for budget

reasons...

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Unless there is some specific functionality that you need that the D200 has and the D80 does not, your money will almost always be better spent on a lens.

The added benefit of two identical bodies is that you can have a seamless backup if something goes wrong with your primary body, there are no quirks or little things to remember from one camera to the next.

I say that the lens is the better investment. Along with a good flash and a good diffuser like a Lightsphere or Omnibounce.

I second that. The lens makes all the difference more than the body. A lens with VR for instance will certainly improve your shots better than a D200 body will. A fisheye or extreme wide-angle will certainly diverse you more, a D200 will not give you anymore shots. An F2.8 lens, will certainly give you more options having blurry backgrounds over a D200 body.

Definetely the lens, but I'd go for something a little longer and F2.8 if possible. I think your best bet is to purchase a used Nikon 80-200 2.8 AFS. It will be around $950, it has 9 rounded aperture blades that make a wonderful bokeh. They also make an 80-200 2.8 non-AFS version but it has straight aperture blades, the bokeh looks like a 9 sided polygon and not as flattering. That's just me though.

Oh, the 70/80 - 200 2.8 is the money maker. But, if you get it have PLENTY of practice with it before using it at F2.8. It's DOF can be so shallow depending on subject distance, F2.8, and focal length selected it can be easy to have say, the persons eyes in focus and not their nose or ears, or if the person facing diagonally have the eye closest in focus and not the furthest. But, with great risks comes great rewards.

I did alot with the D70 and D200 and found their minor differences overwhelmingly annoying during the heat of a wedding.

I second the premise of matching your bodies and investing in the best glass, but I would think that the D80 would struggle to push around that much glass (70-200). Is its AF that much better than say the D70?

Also the 80-200 is an extremely good lens and used, is about a third the price of a new 70-200.

I have a similar view to those above, (with the proviso you can NOT define an overwhelming shortcoming with the d80).

Having two bodies is an imperative. Having two the same has benefits. If you can afford the better glass that would be better also, both in regard to Image Quality and Creative Flexibility with low light and shallow DoF work.

WW

I also use the Fuji S5 and it is the perfect wedding photographer's camera. That said, invest in glass.

I own the Tamron 17-50. I use it as the backup to my 28-70. It's a decent lens and in a pinch you can shoot an entire wedding with it (I've done it). That said, if you're not going to plunk money down on a new camera, get the Nikon 17-55 2.8. The D80 plus that will give you better images than the D200 + the Tamron.

And that said, the biggest plus when it comes to the Fuji is that it lets me shoot jpg without worrying about blow-outs. Just set it to matrix metering, 400% dynamic range, std or medium high tone, and large image size and most of my images are ready to go right out of the camera.

I am _kinda_ in the same boat. I opted for the better glass first (tamron 17-50, in fact), then I'm gunning for the 2nd d80, then another flash and then more glass. I especially want to stick to the same body because all the buttons and functions will be the same. The only thing I wish I had on the d80 was a second flash sync, but I can use the out on the sb-800 flash anyway.

allan