Photography in Michigan

I currently do photography in Champaign County IL but will be moving to

Washtenaw County Michigan and staying in the Ann Arbor City limits. I've been

researching Michigan requirements. Can someone tell me what the required

licenses are in Ann Arbor and surrounding counties and the best way to go about

registering in counties in this area?

I've called around today and yesterday and recieved the basic registration paperwork for my company, and to check on zoning. I recieved the back and forth between the clerks office and city hall on who actually assigns the permits. I read that the state of michigan may actually require a license on photography but since being tossed back and forth hasnt helped this morning can anyone inform on exactly where to go (if u live in michigan)..?

There is no "Photography License".

You need to register your business with the County Clerk. Its like $20.00 or so for 5 years.

Business requirements very greatly. A little more info then "I have a photography business" may help.

Michigan is pretty loose on the whole thing, as far as I can tell. I haven't actually registered mine since I don't do anything out of shooting for my full-time employer yet. But I know a few people, and basically, its just register it, keep your records, and pay your taxes. Not sure if Ann Arbor has anything different though.

And Michigan is a tough market. We are probably the worst performing economy in the nation right now, so good luck.

• 7 months later...

In Calhoun County I registered my DBA (Doing Business As) for 5yrs for $10 at the County Clerk's Office. You will also need a sales tax license if you sell a tangible product (i.e. prints). Here is the MI State treasury FAQ link: http://michigan.gov/taxes/0,1607,7-238-43529-154427--,00.html

You can also get a sales tax exemption for products you resell, but not items you use in the operation of your business, i.e. office supplies, equipment, etc.

Best of luck to you, as Zach is dead-on about the economy here.