-100mm-300mm zoom lens for the minolta<br>

-battery charger for the fuji<p>

i don't plan on carrying all the cameras at once. just one camera per day. now

my question is when i use the minolta should i just stick to the smaller lens

or do you think it will be safe to bring both without the risk of having it

stolen. also when loading film i'll have one roll loaded at all times and one

roll in my pocket. is that a safe approach? should i keep my camera around my

neck and hold it when not shooting or is a camera bag safe? mine has a canon

logo and i plan to put black electric tape over all logos cameras and the bag.

how will i deal with the swarms of children that will likely see me eventually

even in the country and will want their photos taken?<p>

oh my parents warned me not to get too into my photographing as i might get

kidnapped because i'll be mistaken for a journalist. i just plan on being alert

at all times and try to resist taking too many photos but that will be hard.

i'm actually a photojournalism student so anyone on here who are

photojournalists with tips on dealing in a foreign country are welcome too.<p>

oh my focus is mainly street/portrait photography and occasional landscapes.

any help is appreciated. sorry if this is a bit lengthy.

I'll have to echo the information in the previous posts - and add that when I went there

back in '99 I had a camera ( Rebel G ) in a bag, with two lenses, a lot of film, and no

problems. Just always be aware of where you are. I was in Manila and Baguio, with a trip

to Boracay ( to which I hope to return and NEVER come back ). I would often wander about

on my own with my gear - never felt threatened at all. The only time I felt my life in peril

was the bus ride through the mountains to Baguio.

Being half-Filipino may help you "blend in" - looking less like a tourist. Having the

company of your relatives will probably help as well. As far as I know, Mindinao is still

fairly dangerous, so it is better to stay away from there - a shame, as I've told that is

where one will find some really good representation of indingenous Philippine culture.

Don't worry about the kids - they're a lot of fun to be around - and yes, they wanted me

to photograph them. If you can fit it in, maybe bring a Polaroid so you can give them

something. Not sure if Polaroid film can be found in the Philippines - maybe in Manila.

The heartbreaking thing is the poverty though - it's very difficult to keep yourself from

being generous to those who are truly needy.

As far as appearance - I'd say keep it conservative - don't draw attention to yourself.

Covering the logos might have an opposite effect - "hmmm - what's she hiding?" A bag

without a logo might be better. Also, a generic non-banded camera strap. Carry the bag

with the strap on your opposite shoulder. I wandered about with the camera itself around

my neck, but the camera always in my hands. Again, it's about awareness. I am originally

from New York, so I'm experienced with what I refer to as "paranoia awareness training."

Enjoy the trip - the Philippines got under my skin, into my soul, and has never left me.

Buwenas!

Cagayan Valley is actually in the northeastern part of the country (while Mindanao is in the far south), so there's really no extra precaution that you'll have to take, other than the usual common sense that should apply ANYWHERE you go.

Cagayan Valley is actually comprised on 5 or 6 provinces, so depending on which provinces you hit, you'll have some good photo ops: beach/ocean/snorkeling, primeval forests, caves, old fortresses from a few hundred years ago, etc... And yes, you will run into indigenous tribes as well. Best source of info would be your monther and her relatives... have one of your cousins act as your guide.

Something about the Phillipines just cries out for B&W film.

<b>keith:</b> should i cut my hair? my mom suggested it but i've been told by others from there it's not necessary. it's about 20 inches from the top of my head and i've been growing it out so i can donate it later but it's not ready to. my mother said jungle bugs are a problem and they might try to make a home in my thick hair. i just figure i'll be okay with my hair up and covered in a hat or bandana at all times.<p>

<b>jeff:</b> you're probably right about that many cameras but i figured i'd bring the yashica since it's less likely to be stolen as it is not that well known to the public vs a canon. i want to bring my minolta cos i have 2 lenses for that. and the digital for when i do run out of film.

No need to be paranoid. Everyone wears blue jeans and women wear makeup. I was there several years ago with a full bag of expensive Nikon gear and tripod. Filipinos are very friendly. It should be more than OK if you stick with your cousin and don't try to make sure that everyone knows you don't speak their language. Of course this is not to say you don't watch out. The last time I was pick-pocketed was in Manhattan on a one-day visit, not in the Philippines or in any Southeast Asian cities.

Good luck,

Mary

Theresa - I don't know you'd need to cut your hair, other than for convenience -- you can always braid it. If you're going in the next month or two (August/September), note that it's toward the end of their rainy season, so humidty will be something to deal with. From what I hear, this has been a dry year, and they are anticipating a "la nina" effect toward the end of this tear -- meaning A LOT of moisture. Bring mosquito repellent with DEET.

Have fun!