EOS 40D leak, is it true, what does the experts say?

burger

Yawn. Pretty much as expected. Not a huge reason to most folks to upgrade from the 20D/30D. Of course the devil may be in the details. A significantly larger and brighter viewfinder and/or ECF would get me to ditch my 20D and pronto.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I think the images make it clear that there is no ECF since there is no icon for it in the VF. Since the prism housing appears to be little different from a 30D's, it also seems that you will be lucky if there is any improvement in the VF itself beyond the display of ISO.

perhaps not a worthy upgrade from current 20D/30D owners but it looks like a pretty good upgrade for XT/XTI owners. Of course knowing my luck they will soon follow the 40D with the XTI Mark 2 that has most of the features of the 40D in the XT body.

My take on it - http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_questions_eos30d.html and http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_40D.html

I currently own and EOS 20D but I skipped the EOS 30D since it really didn't offer enough new features of use to me to be worth the upgrade. However if it is what I think it will be, I'll be placing a pre-order for the EOS 40D as soon as it is announced

I hope the following issues will be addressed by this new body, otherwise it will hardly be an

upgrade for me 1) Faster more reliable AF 2) Bigger brighter viewfinder 3) 20+ RAW buffer 4)

ISO shown in viewfinder all the time.

the 8 to 10 mpixle upgrade although not a big deal is welcomed as long noise isn't any

higher

"However if it is what I think it will be, I'll be placing a pre-order for the EOS 40D as soon as it is announced"

What if you get it and it isn't? I am so amazed at how everyone jumps on a brand new camera before it is even released or announced. Given the technology bugs in the way gear is put on the market before it is fully tested, why spend your hard earned money on an unproven product?

If you shoot with a 20D on Monday and a 40D on Tuesday, will your pictures be marginally better on Tuesday? If the answer is yes, I'd take some photography classes because a camera isn't the best use of your money at that point.

I don't mean to be slamming you, but why not wait until the camera is on the market before jumping on the bandwagon. If it could be $1800 that's a big chunk to experiment with.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think we will see a brand new next generation camera for a while. They (Canon & the rest) seem to be making a good living with small incremental improvements. I'm waiting for the revolution! :)

BTW - it doesn't seem the MK III is all that either.

Lou

Oh come on Lou, that's an easy question -- we all want the latest and greatest toys :). Actually I'm waiting for the market to be flooded with used 20D/30D and then I may upgrade to one of those. If my Rebel XT would do 5 FPS I wouldn't consider upgrading. I would rather spend the $$$ for the 200mm f/2.8L and 100mm f/2.8 macro lenses.

It isn't that we just want the latest and greatest toys. Alot of us 20D owners have had our cameras for a couple years now. I know my 20D is starting to show some wear and tear around the edges. The 30D was no upgrade, but if these specs for the 40D do pan out, it is certainly worth considering. I am not ready to get rid of my 17-55IS yet, but I think I'm ready to look at a nice new body for it.

Here's my take on the 40D info so far (which by no means makes me an expert, just a geek)

10 megapixels, but at 14 bits. This is big guys, smoother transitions and better image quality. Need more than 10 megapixels? Get a 5D.

Possible weathersealing. Not a big issue, but important for a sports camera.

Possible live-view. I bought the 1D MkIII and have found this to be a very handy feature. I've used it in product photography and even used it in an event, certainly usable!

ISO in viewfinder... finally!

3" screen. Have to admit it's awfully nice

Higher FPS. When there's action every frame could be the one!

So I wouldn't discount it as a me-too offering, it will probably retake the lead in that segment!

Ignacio

I think people need to differentiate between informed speculation and shear wishfull thinking.

Much of what passes for "rumors" is just idle specualtion based on nothing more than what the poster of the rumnor wants to see. Then it gets passed on as 3rd or 4th hand "rumors". I'm surprised nobody has brought up ECF (which it won't have of course).

I'm hoping they make one in pink....

ECF was discussed above, Bob - and you are right, there is nothing to suggest that it will be offered and plenty of indication that it won't (no VF icon, no separate control for it as with Elan 7E/NE).

I suspect intelligent guesswork from outsiders is better founded by assuming that Canon actually delayed the launch having seen the competition from the Nikon D200 and Pentax K10D (and possibly even Olympus offerings) while they added features to be competitive. That would suggest that weather sealing, auto ISO mode/ISO in viewfinder, a better viewfinder, the C1-3 dial positions, 2 second timed delay ? with MLU/prefire, IS kit lens and 5D AF system (with AI Servo assist points) are all candidates for inclusion.

<em>Lou Korell, Aug 04, 2007; 04:12 p.m.

<p>

"However if it is what I think it will be, I'll be placing a pre-order for the EOS 40D as soon as it is announced"

<p>

What if you get it and it isn't?</em>

<p>

Well, since I can read, I'll know what the features are before I order it. Reading the specs is the key to this process, a step some people don't seem to bother to take.

<p>

There are more reasons that rumors and leaked images to think you won't be seeing ECF with any APS-C camera anytime soom (if ever). You won't be seeing it on the 1D series models either since it's not reliable enough for Canon to have ever put it on their 1 series cameras and by an large pro users don't want it.

<p>

Personally I don't care if Canon ever put ECF on another SLR. I've tried it (EOS-3 and Elan IIe), didn't find it useful and don't particularly want to have to pay for it.

I don't give a hoot about ECF.

1/3 ISO adjustability, however, is promisising. IF and ONLY IF it is done via sensor amplification and not (as in the 30D) via simple in camera processing.

14 bit depth, eh? Well that could be promising. At this point. . I definately would not consider without CONFIRMATION of improved quality from a reputable web site.