Choice of 400-500mm lens for 4x5

steve_baggett

I'm planning on getting something in the 400mm-500mm range for my 4x5 Canham. I have plenty of bellows, so I've been considering the Fuji 450mm Compact f/12.5, a non-tele lens that is quite compact. However, long bellows = wind vibration. Do any of you have an opinion on this lens? The Nikkor 360/500/720 EDt looks good, other than size and price, and can be "converted" to 360 or 720 with another rear element at about 1/3 the price of an additional lens. If you assume money is not a (big) issue but that weight, bulk, and image quality are, what would you go for? The use would be almost 100% landscape wherein 0-2 mile hikes are involved. Does anyone know what 500mm Davide Muench used for a lot of his images in "Plateau Light"? Tough decision for me so I need your opinions. Thanks, ya'll.

I have this 450 C for a week only but can say it's a good choice when the extension is available. The lens is tack

sharp, has huge coverage (use of a lens shade recommended) if you are looking towards larger formats someday, but

what amazed me most, is the smooth, absolute vibration free firing of this tiny lens. David Muench uses a Nikkor T

with his Technika. This camera has too short a bellows for the 450C. But there is a macro tube made by Wista that

adds 10 cm extension. I use one on mine and the tube adds strength to the camera compared to the fully extended

rail. When a heavy tele lens is mounted, I think the camera is more prone to be affected by the small shake

originated by the shutter, or by the wind, if not stiff enough.

Steve,

<p>

I use this 450 Fuji on my DLC. I completely agree with Paul and

William: great, sharp little lens with huge coverage for even larger

formats than 8x10.

<p>

Don't let someone talk you into the Nikkor 450 M. It's mounted in a

big Copal 3 shutter which vibrates more, it's much larger and heavier

than the Fuji, and will tax the DLC's stability when at full bellows

extension.

<p>

Good luck, Sergio.