Camera Bags for F6 Body and 3 Lenses

chriskelly

Im looking for a very good weather proof camera bag that can hold an f6 with

MB40, a 17-35mm zoom (theyre massive), a 50mm prime and an 85mm prime. along

with flash and various other bits and bobs filters etc. it needs to be a

shoulder bag with easy access from the top, with suitable sturdy compartments

for the lenses/camera bodies obviously. something i can take travelling (jungle

and cities) without worrying that things will get wet or broken.

i like the look of the lowepro but im no expert. . .

Lowe Pro are best. Better ones have a waterproof cover built in that can be pulled out for rain protection. This is not convenient, but rather than wet equipment, worth it. They are well padded. They have a curved shoulder strap so it stays put on your shoulder.

I like bags with both waist and shoulder straps as they stay where you put them and are less likely to attract the grab and run people. If you can get a supplimental waist strap, do it.

Check out this current thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Lv6n

and the other threads referenced from there.

You should be able to fit the F6 and those lenses easily into a LowePro SlingShot 200AW, but only you can decide whether you like that type of bags or not. I happen to like it very much, but some others who posted to the above thread do not.

I owned 3 Lowepro setups, one Tamrac. One, Lowepro was the biggest backpack they made at the time, thing is monstrous. I loaded it up with an F5, 80-400VR, 80-200F2.8, 17-35mm F2.8, Flash, about 25 filters, my camcorder, my Mamiya Medium Format RB67, and 11 lb Benbo tripod and travel pod, and it STILL had room. I then practiced trying to carry it on my back (I think it weighed in close to 100 lbs) for 3 months. Although it fit all my stuff, it was too unwieldy, my arms always went numb within 10 minutes even after training by walking with it for an hour each night for 3 months. My back didn't like it either. That didn't work, but it fit everything I owned with room to spare so it's where I store all my stuff today.

I then purchased a Lowepro I think it's called a micro Trekker, really small and light, and decided I'd use that for trips, and the big one to carry all my equipment. It just fit the Nikon F5 with an attached 80-400VR lens, the 17-35mm, and a few other things but trying it on, EVERYONE burst out laughing some laughing so hard to cry. It's the same size as a kindergarden kids backpack, and you can imagine how ridiculous a tall grown man looks wearing it. The crying started when someone said I was wearing my DD bra backwards. That went back to the store, and fast.

My next attempt I purchased I think it was the LowePro Photo Trekker AW. That one, was regular backpack sized. I could fit my F5, 80-400VR lens, 17-35mm Lens, all my filters, cables, batteries, AND my Sony PD100A camcorder OR Medium format camera (with Prism finder removed). Great size, well built, well padded, but in use... backpacks deny you those "fleeting" moments and down right annoying on vacation, travels, hiking, and biking. Whenever a fleeting moment came up I had to swing off the backpack lay it on the ground, if the ground was muddy I often just skipped the picture, if the ground was dry I had to unzip it, take out the camera and by that time the moment was always gone. I then had to do the reverse to put it all back. Rinse, and repeat, constantly. When I was biking to scenic destinations or on trails, it was awful. Biking and backpacks do not go together the angle you bike puts all the weight on your back and arms. Talking about taking pictures of fleeting moments think how easy it is to get your camera out of a backpack while on a bike. My back was also not happy for a couple reasons. I don't care what they say about mesh, and air flow, they designed the backpack very well to minimize the strain on your back and increase airflow but regardless it still feels like you're wearing a winter coat on your back and that stinks in summer. My back would be soaking under it, bugs would come from billions of miles attracted by my sweat it seamed, I often removed the backpack to let my back breathe more. Even with its exceptional design to minimize the strain, it was still hard on my back (at least my arms didn't go numb with this model).

The answer came to me, when we were on family vacation and going on a small hike, I didn't want to take my camera backpack so my father gave me his large fanny pack to carry my camera with lens, I wore the fanny pack (maybe they're called waist packs today) so the camera was towards the front. I noticed when a fleeting moment came, it was simply unzip, flip the camera out, and shoot. To put back, was just as easy. I didn't have to "remove it", didn't have to lay it in the mud, never had to remove it from my waist, my back REALLY liked it, I could finally hike and my back could breathe and sweat freely and less bugs attracted, I didn't noticed it while biking, and could flip it out easily on a bike, and best my back no longer complains at all about fatigue.

At least you want one that has easy access from the top. I purchased the Tamrac 519 Pro Zoom belt pack which can be a chest also, and a padded belt and can't say enough good things absolute it. I can fit my F5 with an attached 80-400VR lens (now that's big), my F5 with the 17-35mm attached I have about 3" underneath the lens available which I throw my film in. I can fit my SB-28, SB-28 cord, batteries, 1 filter, and about a dozen rolls of film otherwise in just that one thing and fits on my waste. No problems hiking, biking, sweating, fleeting moments... but it's big and does look a little goofy. I later got 2 more lens holders, and 2 filter holders for it and absolutely love it.

I recommend you get a backpack one as it can hold all your stuff in one location, and get a belt one, perhaps a lens pouch as well as you'll find the belt ones far more convenient and mobile. I believe the Tamrac belt system superior to Lowepro.

I used in a frametime of 16 years two Tamrac Super pro 14. You can put a HUGE amount of cameras and lenses plus filters, flash, film and so on. These bags are very strong, I never had one problem with them in all these years and also have a good protection against rain on the top of the bag. I was so happy that after the first one I bought a second one, so, when I have a lot of equipment to carry I divide between the 2 bags and so I have more balanced weight.

The also have tripod support. A reeal joy to use.

Franco Mascagni