Digital processing advice needed

jose_angel

I`m very confused here. With the arrival of my brand-new D200 I have decided to

update also my working methods and materials.

My current method is as follows:

a) After shooting I download the cards to a file at my computer`s HD. I make

backup copies of the non-deleted images on another detachable HD or CDs.

b) I usually open the archives on Photoshop 5.5 to improve contrast, color, and

sharpness.

c) I usually save the retouched images on pen-drive or CDs to be sent to the

Lambda 130 for printing.

I`m in the believing that my copy of Elements (3.0) (came with a scanner) is

more refined and manages color and unsharp masks more accurately than PS 5.5. I

like to use PS when I need to work with layers and text. I`m not a pro-editor,

but I`m used and know how to use PS.

As I need a RAW (NEF) converter, I`m thinking also to upgrade my photo editor.

I tried PS CS3, I like it, but Adobe doesn`t accept an upgrade from 5.5. It

could cost me over $600. I can pay it but I`m not sure if it is worth the

expense.

I don`t know what to do. I need advice.

1. What about Nikon software? Nikon offers me as a D200 owner a copy of Capture

NX at low price. What is NX? What`s the best from Nikon? Does it really works?

2. I don`t have an image managing application ("automatic" downloading and

image viewer). What do you think? Could you give me advice about it?

3. I have read about Lightroom from Adobe. Is it a good editing-retouching

tool? I like the idea of having an image manager application and a

color&contrast&sharpening and viewing tool in one. Is it real? Does it works?

Don`t know about another software, perhaps the latest version of Elements

(5.0?) is good enough for professional results.

I look for the real highest quality results and then for the faster and

simplier applications. I like things that works. I hate toys. Any advice will

be highly welcomed. Thanks.

If you download ACR for your Photoshop-Elements-3 (i believe the latest version that will work with it is ACR-3.6) you can use it to convert your raw/nef files to tif.

You could also upgrade to Elements-5 and use the latest ACR-versions.

Also, Lightroom should work fine for you.

Jose: Lightroom doesn't work with Layers. It may in the future but it doesn't now.

If you cannot afford PsCS3 you can either go with Lightroom or you can look at Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 (Windows) or 4.0 (Mac OS X).All these will have no problems handling Nikon D200 NEF files.

The Nikon software is fine as well. Very powerful.

Lightroom also doesn't handle 'areas' as PS would. You can't select regions to apply changes to, one of the main limitations. It does come with the newest ACR converter, and is a good and relatively fast conversion tool. If you have become used to making specific/localized corrections for color and contrast in photoshop you might have to stick with that type of software.

Lightroom is quite a powerful image handling and RAW converting software though, quick and simple, but certainly not a photoshop replacement.

Oh, if you are considering PS elements, then go with Lightroom instead. Fairly intuitive workflow possible with Lightroom, and you can certainly make all the adjustments you would in Elements. Only problem, I don't see that you actually use Elements in your current workflow.

Its actually a really good deal, for its file handling ability and RAW conversion tools, plus touch up, certainly can produce 'publishable' quality images.

Jose-

I would strongly agree that you take a very hard look at Lightroom. You can download an eval for 30 days. The only thing you might miss from PS would be dealing with areas or using layers when necessary. But, you may find most of your work does not require that, and since you still have PS 5.5 you can leverage that when needed.

90% of my editing is now done in Lightroom, I use CS2 if I need to get into layer masking, etc, but frankly that is the exception rather than the rule.

I suggest you use Nikon Capture NX for RAW images. I use it for my RAW images from my D 200 and rarely see a need to use Photoshop 7 which I also own. Only Nikon programs will read the settings you enter in the camera to make the image at the time of capture as good as possible. None of the others will. If your image still needs more work then save a TIFF in Capture and take it into PS.

See this for more info: http://www.cleanimages.com/DDBlog-NikonCaptureAndThe%20D2x.asp

Just substitute CApture NX for the earlier version of Capture.

Joe Smith

Capture NX reads all the settings you made in your camera and applies them on your NEF-file. NX knows exactly how a NEF-file is made. But for real production work I can't get a good workflow on it. I use it for the U-point technic. At the moment I use DxO as Raw-converter and that applies automaticaly lens corrections on your NEF(if you want of course. It has modules for a lot of lenses.

BTW NX can defish pics from the Nikkor 10.5.

Bibble Pro is an excellent option as it does process NEF files and will support your D200 as will DxO. They both offer lens correction and are reasonalbly priced. Both are excellent digi-darkrooms. However, I do use them in conjunction with PS--layers. I really do not think there is an all in one solution. Irfanview is free as well as the aforementioned Picasa, as I have those as well. I tried the Nikon software and found it lacking and that is hard for me to say being Nikon addict. The cool thing is, you can try them all out for free and make up your own mind what is best for you. Good luck.

I find the colors and noise from ACR to be very poor and I end up spending more time dealing with its poor conversions of NEF files than I can save with its fast conversions. My preference is to use Nikon Capture as my default converter, which does a better job than ACR even with the NR disabled, and I actually find it very fast on my computer. It includes a camera control module that costs you extra if you are using NX; the cost difference ends up being double using NX and Camera Control Pro.

Capture One LE is good for fast, good quality conversions with easy UI; the preview images are outstanding, but it is a memory hog and you need to periodically dump the cache because it will overwhelm your HD (it's around 1 MB per image!). Raw Magick Lite is the best for the highest quality conversions. I use PTGui for panos, and Photokit Sharpener for output sharpening and touch-ups (selective sharpening and smoothing). I will probaly consider changing my stitching software to Autopano Pro eventually, and if I were you I might start with that instead of PTGui.

Shoot in RAW, save as TIFFs and open them in Photoshop.